My Response To a Control Freak Dialysis Nurse

Nursing Board:

Dialysis patients are the most stubborn people that I have ever met. They know what they are supposed to do and the diet that they are supposed to follow but most of them could care less. I have found that you have to over look a lot of things in order to stay sane. Some patients love to be educated but most of them could care less.

ND:

In every situation on this earth, there are costs and benefits. Clearly, you see the benefits but are unaware of the costs. In the 19th century, housing reformers were appalled by the housing conditions for most or the vast majority of immigrants. The reformers saw the benefits of higher quality housing. Yes, that higher quality housing was available for a higher price than the immigrant was willing to pay. Yet, the immigrant was saving to send money back to the Old World, for a better education for their children, or to save and start a business. This just did not happen in the United States, but in many other nations as well. However, to the housing reformers, the “benefits” that they proposed, were clearly superior to the goals of the immigrants who had risked their lives to come to the United States. In fact, more people died coming to United States from Ireland than did on the slave ships from Africa, 22 percent to 9 percent. One of the largest dangers in this world is the arrogance of the highly educated. They and the housing reformers believe that their choices because of their education is superior to the choices of the immigrants. Housing reformers asserted that better housing was available because of their actions. However, this is false, rising incomes produce a wider variety of choices in the world.

Many people will tell you how the public schools are great for your children, while they send their children to Sidwell Friends(Clinton, Obama, Biden, and numerous other members of the Democratic elite). Bill Gates proclaims the greatness of the Common Core education push, yet, Common Core is not addressed in the school that his children attend at Lakeside School in Washington, where the tuition cost is in the neighborhood of $28,500 per year.

I am curious, NurseonTheway, how you would respond to numerous lectures about not drinking as a diabetic with a raging thirst? If you are curious, the cause of diabetes is unknown(John Hopkins, Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, and numerous other academic medical institutions). Over 90 percent of individuals who work in dialysis have admitted that they could not follow the renal diet. The vast majority of dialysis personnel admit that they would choose home dialysis for themselves, while sticking other people in a dialysis center. The therapy that is being offered by Fresenius and Davita is very sub-par at best(Indiana University Home Dialysis). If you need or want a transplant and would like to buy a kidney, that is illegal. YET, the very same group of people who stated that buying kidneys with money or any other fiscal exchange, should be illegal, are the very first people to check and scan the wallet of someone who wants and needs a kidney transplant. A number of the Indiana University Home Dialysis Nursing Staff have admitted this is total and complete hypocrisy.

The two people who have the most to benefit or lose from a transplant are donors and the individual who gets the kidney, not arrogant third parties. Why are third parties making these kind of decisions when they do not have anything to lose?

If you are serious about eliminating the problems of kidney failure and dialysis, propose and push for reforms, so that these issues are eliminated. First, propose Nocturnal Dialysis programs. If you did this, problems with kidney failure will cease and desist. Second, greatly speed up the process for kidney transplants and drop the hypocrisy. This issue is between the person getting the kidney, the donor and the doctor, as it is repeated endlessly for abortion rights.

You can stay sane by not treating dialysis patients as children or as ignorant fools. The IU program treats us as adults and they do not have any of the behavior problems of Davita and Fresenius. I worked as a police officer for a large metro county and I can tell you that dialysis personnel have some very serious control issues. Most of my family is in Nursing and they would be appalled by the treatment of dialysis patients. What about discharging dialysis patients for nothing more than asking about their treatment plans? Criminals have more rights than dialysis patients, yes, I do know what I am talking about… With some of the abuses that dialysis patients have told me, I would making sure that I would call the local prosecutor and those individuals would be going to jail. In domestic violence cases, in the majority of local jurisdictions, the charge results in automatic arrest. If some of the actions of dialysis personnel were in a DV case, they would be going to the slammer.

My last question is, "Would you be willing to live the way that you dictate to others?

This might be more helpful with a bit of context–who (not a name, but a situation, at least) is the control freak? What were the circumstances? Who are the third parties for transplant–is this a transplant clinic you are trying to work with?

It was a nurse on one of the Nursing Dialysis boards, woman is crazy. No, it is not IU, they have an excellent program and they are really here to help the kidney failure person. This is pertaining to another transplant unit, my RN sister, Head Charge RN in surgery at that hospital was not impressed and gave them a piece of her mind. She was ticked off because they had ran a bunch of very expensive tests when they could have eliminated her with very cheap tests, she was honked. My nephrologist of 30 some years of experience really chewed them out. He is considered one of the top Nephrologists in the Metro area, very nice guy, good sense of humor. They lost hundreds of thousands of dollars for being arrogant jerks. Davita would have been proud.