New fresenius machine

I stumbled across a new fresenius machine today pic only Does any one know anything about it what is new or better?

Hi Manisha,

I’m not familiar with a new Fresenius machine. If you found the picture on the web, can you post the link?

What’s the name of the new machine you found and where did you find it?

Fresenius has come out with an 5008 series machine and they also have a A4008. I typed Fresenius Machines on a search got to their web site and saw a picture of the machines. Then in another place on the search I read an article about the 5008 machines. These machines still appear to be geared more for in-center treatments than home. I’d post you the link but I don’t know what it was. Tried to go back and find the pictures again but couldn’t.

Photos can be viewed at http://www.fmc-ag.com/internet/fmc/fmcag/agintpub.nsf/Content/Photos+of+Treatment

Hmmm, they are still using BIBags??? What is going on?

I found this press release on the 5008 from 2005. It looks like Fresenius planned to launch this machine in Europe, Asia, and the Middle East. For those of you in the U.S., I don’t see where the FDA has approved it for the U.S. yet. I’m not sure where to look for other countries.

So far as the BIBag, perhaps the pictures were taken before the final court decision.

Quote "The 5008 series is characterized by a very simple user guidance. Nurses and doctors can operate the new dialysis machine easily and – above all – safely using a touch-screen monitor and self-explanatory menus. Routine blood handling procedures were simplified or shortened, which also reduces the amount of training necessary. “Nurses and doctors now have additional time to maintain the crucial contact to the patient,”

Wouldn’t it be lovely if they also mentioned that they had actually specifically designed a machine to be user friendly for the home “patient”(I don’t like that word) as well. :?

The Fresenius 2008K at Home machine was designed shorter with the screen height and controls at eye level for someone sitting down. The Aksys PHD and NxStage are also designed so someone sitting down can operate them. Hopefully more machines will be designed for people who are doing self-care.

I’d agree with you Beachy, when will those people listen… :? …still I think its quite cool that they came out with a new design…what that means is that patients in-center will also be able to take part setting up that machine and even monitoring it…

How about this…let the centers formulate a plan to let patients dialyze everyday with this new machine (self-care) with only their supervision. :slight_smile:

Checkout these videos of the 5008…WARNING: Large files

http://www.fresenius.de/pressemappe/Dialyse_hi.wmv (high quality)
http://www.fresenius.de/pressemappe/Dialyse_medium.wmv (medium quality)
http://www.fresenius.de/pressemappe/Dialyse_small.wmv (small mpg)
http://www.fresenius.de/pressemappe/Dialyse_hi.mpg (high quality mpg)

Quote "The 5008 series is characterized by a very simple user guidance. Nurses and doctors can operate the new dialysis machine easily

Do nephs in Aussie Land, other countries, know how to operate the machine? None of the U.S. nephs I’ve had know one button from another on the machine. I’ve always found it very strange that most nephs are machine illiterate. The better nephs know how to operate the machine of course.

Hi,

The 5008 device was designed with the “home patient” in mind. As mentioned, it is much easier to setup and more safe in use. The 5008 system however is only released recently ( end 2005 in The Netherlands). Some selected hospitals are working with the 5008 for 1-2 years, but that was for testing purposes.

I think it’s just a matter of time before the 5008 will be available for home patiënt’s to.

In another thread I read something about BiBags. Over here (The Netherlands), we are mainly using Bibags. We use can’s only as a backup solution, in case of trouble with the Bibag. Central bicarbonate systems are rarely used because of hygenic reasons.

As far as i Know you have the following choices:

• 650g BiBag
  • 950g BiBag
  • 5L can
  • 8L can

Regards,
René
Medical Engineer (4008H slave…and waiting for the 5008 to arive our hospital)

I have only seen 3 or 4 Nephs and by the way they stare blankly at the machines here in Aussie Land I suspect you are right Jane!

:shock:

Hi Rene’
We are still hoping this Aussie patent problem with the BiBags can be sorted out as it only stands for 18 months anyway. We are the only country that has this problem apparently.It seems ridiculous that it is going to affect so many of us and nothing can be done, particulary for those of us on Nocturnal. :?

beachy writes:

We are still hoping this Aussie patent problem with the BiBags can be sorted out as it only stands for 18 months anyway. We are the only country that has this problem apparently.It seems ridiculous that it is going to affect so many of us and nothing can be done, particulary for those of us on Nocturnal.

I really pray that something happens to resolve this situation, beachy- there must be some way they can put the patients’ well being first.

Wouldn’t a petition be helpful?

When did you do your last order with Gambro, Beachy??? Mine was last Tues (delivery this Thurs). When we got to BiBgs on the list, I said “Er…” :smiley: …and mentioned the high court thingy. She had no idea & as far as she was concerned, they were still delivering em “You beauty!” I thought & promptly ordered extra :smiley: 8) …so I’ll be right for a while.

Id like a machine with the buttons down low as its a pain when u are fast asleep in bed and the machine alarms. Not that it happens often on nocturnal, but at one point my BP kept dropping and I was trying to lay flat but the machine keeps alarming when you stop the UF, so you have to get up to mute it.

Thanks Jane for those kind words.

As for the petition , a lot of us have written or spoken to everyone we can think of. I even wrote to the High Court judge and the Principal Registrar wrote me back a compassionate letter (more than the pollies have done) explaining why they have refused Fresenius’ special leave to appeal on the grounds of there were insufficient prospects of success. So basically for the want of 18 months Gambro is probably going to stick to their guns and make Fresenius withdraw all BIbags by June. It would be nice to think they may “bite the bullet” and just take a more compassionate line for the health of renal patients.

Bear, I got 2 more boxes of Bibags last week so I think I have about 7 months worth. Mine come from Fresenius in NSW. Fingers crossed!

Guest, we raised our bed by 100mil (4 inches) by adding length to the timber legs. i find this useful and it seems to make a difference to my pressures. I have Freni’s screen covered with a sarong at night so I have to flip that back before I can wake and struggle with the buttons.

I find the controls of my Baby K to be just the right height for either sitting or lying in bed. I never have to get up. I just roll the machine right up against the bed (about 6 inches away) once I’m on. The newer Baby K’s have a display that turns off and then turns on automatically when there’s an alarm. I don’t have that. I block the light with a manilla file folder that I’ve cut down to the right size.

If you do have to get up to reset alarms, you’re setting yourself up for more alarms to follow as you lie back down again.

Pierre

Oops! (“name/occupation/ number deleted” :lol: ) - lady suggested yesterday that if I could get a double BiBag delivery next time, as well as this week (altho the ruling may have caught up with the Gambro girls by then… :frowning: ), then it would be worth keeping some aside for Nov-Jan, when we are at our hottest/most humid and make do with the liquid mix in the cooler months before-hand, if we get it. 8)