New home hemo helper

We just started home hemo dialysis about 5 weeks ago. Three weeks of training and two on our own now. We are using the NxStage machine. My father is on the dialysis and I’m hooking him and running/monitoring him and the machine.

It’s been pretty stressful. We’ve had some problems but managed to work through them all.

Has anyone been on the NxStage machine for a long time? The support seems to be very good but I’m a little dissappointed in the problems I’ve had with the cartridges. I had 2 that leaked. It just makes me uncomfortable having to worry about the machine or machine parts when I’m already worrying about possible medical problems with my father.

Welcome Diane!
I’m a NxStager and yes the cartridge problems have been very stressful. NxStage narrowed the construction of the cartridges. They had the 160s which were good performing cartridges. But then they redesigned the 160s, the redesign continued with the 170s and problems have occured with leaks, poor rinsebacks, kinked lines, elevated pressures, arterial pressure pod problems etc. There was a FDA recall of the cartridges. NxStage has worked on correcting the leak problem first. I have heard some reports that the leak problem is not totally resolved, so be alert. Even if it is resolved as we speak, it is still prudent to always be alert for a leak and take pro-active steps to resolve as mechanical equipment always has the remote possiblity of failing.

Re poor rinsebacks, some patients report it hasn’t affected them, but others have been very affected. The company does not yet know why some are affected and others are not. Despite the problems, a number of patients who have called and spoken to management have said that they received assurances that NxStage is working hard to resolve the cartridge issues.

I know it must be very difficult with your father being a new patient, and you as his caregiver, to encounter leaks. My advice to you would be to make sure your training is sufficient to handle any tx problems. A new group that can assist you with technical info. and support is NxStage_Users. For those who do home txs the rule of thumb is don’t fear…prepare. It takes a serious investment of time and effort, but with each challenge, you will begin to master the tx and will feel more confidant. The best part is, the patient will begin to feel so much better while you ride out the bumps.

NxStage is working on being a fully responsive company. They are doing a great job in many respects, but no comapny is perfect. The more we patients and caregivers communicate our tx issues and observations to NxStage, the faster they can work on resolving same. The co. says they welcome patient input. The more proactive you become, the more you will get out of home txs with NxStage.

[quote=DianeCarl;14701]We just started home hemo dialysis about 5 weeks ago. Three weeks of training and two on our own now. We are using the NxStage machine. My father is on the dialysis and I’m hooking him and running/monitoring him and the machine.

It’s been pretty stressful. We’ve had some problems but managed to work through them all.

Has anyone been on the NxStage machine for a long time? The support seems to be very good but I’m a little dissappointed in the problems I’ve had with the cartridges. I had 2 that leaked. It just makes me uncomfortable having to worry about the machine or machine parts when I’m already worrying about possible medical problems with my father.[/quote]

Hello and welcome! Another Nxstage user…yay! Well, I mean in a sense that your not alone! There are many of us using it.

The first several weeks of using Nxstage after training is stressfull and that is natural for everyone who just started home dialysis. Any dialysis machine at home would give the same results in that you have to face the challenge of caring for yourself and/or your partner.

Like Jane stated, no dialysis machine is perfect! I would also have to say that Nxstage was not my first dialysis machine at home…back in the late 80s I used an in-center dialysis machine and it was not better than Nxstage! For me Nxstage has greatly streamlined my dialyzing at home.

I also would agree that sometimes things don’t go as expected and we must remember we were trained to handle such situations. Your the driver, just the way you were trained to operate a motor vehicle the same applies with self-care with Nxstage. You have to be alert on things that are not right. If the cartridge is bad you replace it with another. Always report to Nxstage on any bad or unusual incidents of your cycler and its accesories.

I also want to point out that in many respects Nxstage has been doing what no other dialysis machine company has been doing, and that is direct client support through phone, fax, and email. Personally, I have been using Nxstage since 2004 and only had 2 leaks…I knew how to handle it and was able to return my own blood back…

Nxstage is doing all they can to improve their products and services. I don’t blame you when things are not working right, I feel the same way, but I think Nxstage is doing something about it, they’re proven to have made changes in the past and sure agree they continue to do so.

Diane, just rememeber to report any unusual problems to Nxstage and don’t give up!

Thanks,
Gus

Thanks for your advice. This week has been better - no problems.

Jane - Where can I find NxStage_users?

NxStage_Users@yahoogroups.com

WHAT DO YOU LIKE AND WHAT DO YOU DISLIKE ABOUT HOME HEMODIALYSIS