New to PD and HD patients

Hi,

My name is Gordon and I am a 75 year old male. I need to make a choice HD or PD soon to fit my life style. My situation is this: I exercise every day, Lift free weights (Press 75 lbs) Do Pilate classes, Hike rough trails, bicycle and a lot of stretches. It takes me from 1 to 2 hrs. a day to do this. I really feel comfortable doing this as it helps me with my work. I am writing my 3rd novel and the workouts help me with my writing and keeps me fit, physically and mentally. I would like some input from people in a similar situation. I have heard that PD can cause hernia’s and that you can’t do situps and lay on your belly or lift a lot of weights. I know there are pro’s and con’s with both methods but I would like to know which one is best for someone who exerxcises a lot.
Gratefull for any help. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.[list=][/list]

Hi Gordon - Welcome to the group. I have a pre-sternal chest catheter; which means my catheter comes out of the upper chest cavity. My physcian actually suggested this type of catheter as it is less likely to become infected, less irrating, and less likely to cause a hernia.

I’m uncertain that you will be allowed to do some of the exercises you have mentioned - especially while you have fluid in you. I have a weight limit of 15 lbs, as to much weight can cause a hernia while the peritoneal cavity is full - this was according to my surgeon. Yoga & pilates are generally ok - if you are completely drained - but you may have to watch some of the stretching exercises with your catheter, you really don’t want to pull much. Hiking is a wonderful activity and you shouldn’t have any problems with that.

Frankly - when I am full of fluid, I feel like I am about 9 months pregnant. Fortunately, I am dry during the day; so it doesn’t effect my daily life to much, but there are always adjustments.

Hi Gordon
I chose Home hemo primarily because of the exercise issue. I walk, swim bike and exercise vigourously in the gym as well as drum/dance in a band. I didn’t want to feel restricted physically and was worried about infections from swimming almost every day.
Hemo at home is a very steep learning curve and I found it quite difficult as I was determined to do Nocturnal so my days are free. Having said that I am very proud to say I have got there and am glad I made this decision. You do need to protect your fistula arm from scrapes if you are hiking and heavy weights should be avoided but I know labourers, fishermen and bricklayers who do home hemo no worries.
All the best. 8)

Hey, Hey, Hey,

Thank you for your great input. I certainly can use it. I still don’t know which way to go but i know that when I do I will have had the necessary research and you have been a great help there. Thanks again.

Gratefully yours,

Gordon.