New to PD....Help!

Hello I’m new to this site I found it while doing a search on google. I am a new patient to PD but not new to dialysis I’ve been on Hemo for about 3 years. The hardest 3 years of my life I’m hopeing that PD will be a little easier on my body I am just having a hard time with the whole catheder situation but I will have to get used to it I don’t have a choice. I’m 22 years old Female and wanted to know if there were any other young people out there on PD, also is the fluid restriction the same as on HD or can I drink more? I live in Florida and I’m having a hard time with the no swimming is it true that I can’t swim at all? I’ve grown up on the water so I wanted to know if there was any hope to swimming again. Another concern of mine is if I’m going to put on weight…Not that big of a deal if I do I just wanted a heads up if it’s possible. Also will I feel better on PD because I’am dializing everyday? Thanks for letting me get some questions out there.
Wish Everyone Well… :smiley:
Jessica

Hi Jessica, and welcome to Home Dialysis Central. I’m not a patient, so I can’t help you with all of your questions, but some of them have been asked before, so I can help you find the answers.

– Most people do get used to the catheter in time. We have a module of Kidney School http://www.kidneyschool.org on Sexuality and Fertility that covers a lot of body image issues, including those involved with having a PD catheter. Check it out!

– Usually people on PD do have fewer fluid limits, but you need to talk with your PD nurse about what will work best for you.

– Clinics vary in what they tell patients about swimming. To see some other posts on this topic, search the message boards for “swimming.” Some people put Tegaderm waterproof patches over the catheter when they swim, and some use ostomy bags to keep the catheter dry. Some clinics will allow swimming in chlorinated pools but not lakes. You’ll have to ask about the ocean. Since you live in Florida, you surely won’t be the only person to ask this question. :smiley:

– Some people do gain weight from the sugar in the PD dialysate; you may need to restrict other calories to avoid this–or better yet, stay active!

– People who do well on PD say that they don’t have the ups-and-downs of 3x/week hemo. So, we’ll hope it works well for you!

Jessica

I started PD about three months ago - at first it appeared so complicated, but after a few weeks it became easier. Benefits I received - my pressure went back to normal, had more energy, felt a whole lot better – down side, slight weight gain. But the plus makes up for the minus. Hang in there. As I mentioned in a previous message PD is a lonely affir. It 's nice to hear from others who have success. Keep up the good work. RE swimming - your PD nurse can advise you on this. Living in NJ the ocean is in easy access, but as of yet haven’t ventured there. PS I’m 60 but since dialysis feel like 40 !!!

Thanks Peg for your response. I have started PD and absolutly love it I don’t know why I waited so long to go from hemo to this but I’ll tell you what I would recomend it to anyone. Thanks again for the reply. Stay safe and healthy.
Jessica

Hi! everybody

I just learn this week that i have to go on dialysis.I’ve been living with my kidney disease for 30 years and now i’ts the time.I chose pd and I’ll have my surgery next week.I’m pretty scare and I would like you to tell me how it’s going to be before and after this surgery.
Do you suggest baxter or fresenius?
thanks for your answers.

Dynagirl :cry:

I am not a patient but worked with people on PD as a social worker for many years. Most of the patients that I worked with loved the freedom that PD gave them. Many traveled. They were able to work much easier than on in-center hemo. And the diet was more liberal than the in-center HD diet. You can read about diet and PD on Kidney School (www.kidneyschool.org).

There can be discomfort after the surgery to place the catheter while the body is healing. Some patients said they felt the catheter inside their body, but they got used to it. At first, having the fluid in their belly was something those that did CAPD had to get used to. I don’t remember hearing anyone talk about this when they used the cycler.

You need to learn how and follow a procedure for caring for your peritoneal dialysis access to help it heal and keep it clean. You can easily learn to PD (it takes 1-2 weeks to learn), but you have to be very careful about following the PD procedure to avoid infection. Infection rates have dropped dramatically over the years so patients often go many years without an infection. You can read about peritoneal dialysis on the Home Dialysis Central site under “types of treatment.”

Some (especially women) worried about gaining weight or having a catheter and how that might affect their sexuality. Weight gain can be controlled with diet and exercise and men and women on PD can and do have sex whether on CAPD or the cycler. You can read about activities and sexuality on Kidney School.

Coping with kidney failure whether on hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis takes time. Be sure to talk with your social worker if you’re depressed or worried. Even though you’ll do dialysis at home, your social worker is there for you. Your training nurse is another great resource if you have questions or fears. A close relationship usually forms between patients and their training nurse. Again, you can read about coping with kidney disease on Kidney School.

So far as equipment and supplies, they are pretty similar and some people like one while others like the other. clinics typically have contracts with one company or the other for equipment and supplies. You might ask your doctor or the home training nurse which supplier they use. You can read about PD equipment on the Home Dialysis Central site under “equipment and products.”

Dynagirl - - Don’t sound so down about this! PD has been an absolute blessing for me! Like Jessica, I had a LOT of problems with the Hemo- but the difference between how the two (PD & Hemo) made me feel was like night & day! I know it might be a little scary at first, (what new things aren’t?) but it’s very easy & I’m sure you’ll catch on right away. Personally, I use Baxter, but mainly because they are contracted with my insurance carrier. I feel certain you’d get good care from either carrier though.

Take care of yourself - & keep us posted.

CJ

thanks beth and cj for your response!
I met somebody doing pd and she’s helping me a lot.I’m schedule for surgery next thursday morning.I’ll keep you posted. :slight_smile:

sorry!Beth and Cj,I forgot to log in!
I’m Dynagirl

I’m so glad that you found someone on PD to be a peer helper or mentor. I should have suggested that. In my old clinic we often linked new patients with established ones. This helped those who were new to dialysis and the modality feel less alone. Plus, they were able to learn from someone who had actually lived what we “professionals” could only talk about theoretically.