Nocturnal dialysis and urination

For those who still urinate, does urination reduce or stop with nocturnal dialysis? I read where one person said it was uncomfortable to end the tx in the morning as she needed to go to the bathroom. And there was a disscussion about people needing to unhook to use the bathroom, but I don’t recall if this was in regard to nocturnal txs.

This is an interesting question, Jane.

I don’t know about anyone else, but in almost 9 months of daily nocturnal, somewhere over 230 7 hour treatments, I have never had to go to the bathroom during the night - but I do make sure I go before starting if I have to. Sometimes I have something to urinate in the morning after I get off, sometimes not. Yes, I still urinate after 3 years on dialysis, especially when I drink more or when I have the day off dialysis. On off days, providing I drink enough, I urinate quite a bit. On treatment days, I urinate a little, but from just the time I get off in the morning to treatment time later that same evening, there isn’t really enough time to build up significant amounts of urine. So far, there doesn’t seem to be much change from when I was doing dialysis in-centre.

If I happen to have to go in the morning, I can do so after rinseback and disconnection, but before taking the needles out. That gets me there 20 minutes faster :slight_smile: … but honestly, it’s never been a problem.

I would never have guessed I would someday be discussing my urination habits publicly :slight_smile:

Pierre

It’s me that needs to go to the loo in the morning fast! After 4 months nocturnal that hasn’t changed and if I have too much to eat at lunch or evening I need to get rid of some of that food (couldn’t think of a nicer way of putting it) during the night which is a bit of a hassle but can be done for us without coming off at all.
I am with Pierre on the eliminating fluid during daytime or when I miss a day. 8)

Pierre writes:

If I happen to have to go in the morning, I can do so after rinseback and disconnection, but before taking the needles out. That gets me there 20 minutes faster

I’ll have to remember this trick…

Pierre writes:

I would never have guessed I would someday be discussing my urination habits publicly.

I hear ya lol!

Beachy writes:

need to get rid of some of that food (couldn’t think of a nicer way of putting it)

Good way to say it : )

A lightweight, portable bedside/chairside commode is a worthwhile way to spend $50-75. You may never need it, but…

Mel