NxStage - Higher Venous Pressures

Hi everyone,

Has anyone using NxStage on SDD with a fistula experiencing higher than normal Venous Pressures for them? The last two weeks my venous pressures have been approx 50 points higher than normal.

Within 15 Mins of Tx Venous Pressures = 250-270’s. Normal would be 220’s, 230’s.
I am unable to go to a 400 blood flow until late in the tx due to the pressures.

After the UF Zeros when I reach my fluid goal, I up the Dialysate Flow Rate to maintain the flow fraction at 31.

A few minutes later, the Venous pressures will drop dramatically to normal numbers.

I received a new shipment of supplies from NxStage and decided to try a different Cartridge Lot # and behold… All pressures are normal from start to finsh. No Problems at all. I used the new cartridges for three days in a row and pressures are normal as can be.
I then decided to try one of the older cartridge lots for the heck of it and behold…High pressures again…

The Cartridge Lot #'s with the Higher pressures are: ( these have higher v pressures )

Lot # 8097701
Lot # 8107702

The new shipment cartridge Lot #'s are: ( these are good )

Lot # 8117702
Lot # 8117707

I notified NxStage Tech Support, sent them my Log Files, Asked if anyone else is reporting this issue and they state No… You are the first.

I will be going in this week to have my fistula checked just in case.

If anyone else is noticing Higher Venous Pressures with a fistual using NxStage? please post a message or email me at briddler@comcast.net

Thanks Much and Happy Holidays to all.

MMan

Hi Folks

Hi MiracleMan

The thing about nxstage is that in my time on it is your come across all sorts of issues, And between yourself/partner and nxstage. You should be able to work out most issues. I get alarms from time to time for no apparent reason. I do nocturnal. After spending the first month getting no sleep I just had to say it a machine error . As to high pressure or low pressure if you looked at book and talked about fistula issues and it sounds like you looked at different other issues . What do your medical say and what did nxstage say?

Good Luck

Thanks
Bob O’Brien

I had my Fistula Checked out and everything is good. Venous pressures are also normal since I started a new Lot # of Cartridges.
I informed NxStage, but they tend to think its not a cartridge issue. I think otherwise, because when I used the problem cartridges just to see, venous pressures went up again and normal when I use a new lot # I just received. Im thankful that its not my Fistula.

Thanks
MM

[QUOTE=MiracleMan;17011]I had my Fistula Checked out and everything is good. Venous pressures are also normal since I started a new Lot # of Cartridges.
I informed NxStage, but they tend to think its not a cartridge issue. I think otherwise, because when I used the problem cartridges just to see, venous pressures went up again and normal when I use a new lot # I just received. Im thankful that its not my Fistula.

Thanks
MM[/QUOTE]

Trust your common sense MM. You are correct that the cartridges are problematic. It is very stressful when various techs at tech support give inaccurate info. This is the nature of dialysis- you will always have those who give qualified info vs those who don’t. It’s very frustrating for patients as it sends us on a wild goose chase. And as dialysis patients, stress is something we don’t handle very well as our reserves are already low. Take it in your stride as there is no way to get around those who give faulty info but to check it out and keep going until you get the correct answers.

This has always been common on my end, even from the very start back in 2004. For me it can last anywhere between 15-30 minutes then normalizes. However, it can be normalized sooner when/if the legs are raised and bent. In matter of fact, this has always been true when incenter…prolly worser, those incenter machines always rang with one tiny body move.

[quote=MiracleMan;16999]Hi everyone,

Has anyone using NxStage on SDD with a fistula experiencing higher than normal Venous Pressures for them? The last two weeks my venous pressures have been approx 50 points higher than normal.

Within 15 Mins of Tx Venous Pressures = 250-270’s. Normal would be 220’s, 230’s.
I am unable to go to a 400 blood flow until late in the tx due to the pressures.

After the UF Zeros when I reach my fluid goal, I up the Dialysate Flow Rate to maintain the flow fraction at 31.

A few minutes later, the Venous pressures will drop dramatically to normal numbers.

I received a new shipment of supplies from NxStage and decided to try a different Cartridge Lot # and behold… All pressures are normal from start to finsh. No Problems at all. I used the new cartridges for three days in a row and pressures are normal as can be.
I then decided to try one of the older cartridge lots for the heck of it and behold…High pressures again…

The Cartridge Lot #'s with the Higher pressures are: ( these have higher v pressures )

Lot # 8097701
Lot # 8107702

The new shipment cartridge Lot #'s are: ( these are good )

Lot # 8117702
Lot # 8117707

I notified NxStage Tech Support, sent them my Log Files, Asked if anyone else is reporting this issue and they state No… You are the first.

I will be going in this week to have my fistula checked just in case.

If anyone else is noticing Higher Venous Pressures with a fistual using NxStage? please post a message or email me at briddler@comcast.net

Thanks Much and Happy Holidays to all.

MMan[/quote]