NxStage Travel

I’ve just received notice of information NxStage has put together for patients wanting to travel with their machine, including information that they now have a new hard side travel case for airplanes. More information is available on their website: http://nxstage.com/chronic_renal_care/products/travel.cfm

Cathy
home hemo 9/04

Ya your right, I got a letter from NxStage concerning that. Our clinics should carry these kits. I also noticed that they’re requring patients to use those travel cases which means you have to buy or at least the clinic should carry them and let patients usew them. Those cases are not cheap at all so be prepared to shell out some serious cash… :stuck_out_tongue:

No Gus it said you can still use the packing case for planes, and they do suggest that the clinics buy one or two and have them for patients, hopefully ours will do that as they did buy a soft sided one.

Cathy

My letter does not say that, it doesn’t say you can still use packing case for plane, but it does say our center or ourselves can buy these cases from NxStage UNLESS you already have the kit.

Sorry Gus, I’ll have to pull the letter, but the website clearly states it can be shipped in the new case or the original shipping crate. It seems to me if they ship you a box to use they could ship the aluminum case, just require that it be returned. I’m guessing it is pretty expensive although I haven’t checked as the soft sided one was almost $300, and I did buy that one.

Cathy

I wanted to travel within a month of taking the Nxstage home. My center did not have plans for purchasing a travel case at the time. I heard that Nxstage cases were expensive so I took a look at the Pelican line of hard plastic cases. I wound upurchasing a Pelican 1660. It is a bit larger than the Nxstage System One machine, so I use the extra space for some of the equipment that I take with the machine…scales, bp machine, swing arm lamp(for those ever dark motel rooms). The price of the Pelican case was $300. I have used it on two trips by car, 5 days and 10 days respectively. Whe the day comes that we take a trip without our strong young son, I will have to devise a system to load the Pelican case into the car. I have also designed and built a wood box on casters that contains all the supplies I will need for 7 treatments on the road except for dialysate. When i set up for treatment away from home the box serves as a rolling stable stand for the Nxstage machine. It is strong enough to support the machine and the four bags of dialysate I currently use. Paul

First trip ended this evening. We left on monday and got back friday evening. We went to Klamth falls Oregon and stayed with family. We didn’t use a travel case. Just put the machine in the back seat and put it’s seat belt on. Everything went great and I can’t wait for our next trip with the machine. A case and a folding table/stand would be cool. The table/stand would seem, to me, to be more important then a case any day. We ended up putting the machine in a chair. It worked, but it would’ve been nice to have a table made for it. That was lightweight and sturdy.
LSB

Leafsunbear,
I understand that you do nocturnal? Is that correct? Do you have the new filtration system? How many hours do you run? How large a person are you? The reason I ask is my hubby is 120K and we will be starting nocturnal in a few weeks. How is your phosphorus? Do you take binders?
Thanks for the info.
Pat

Sorry pat for not getting back on this earlier. I missed it some how.
I use 5 - 25 liter bags, I weigh 74kg , I run for about eight hours six nights a week, my phosphorous has come way down, I only take binders when I eat fondue or stuff like that. Hope this helps.
LSB

Leafsunbear
Thanks so much. As soon as we start our nocturnal monitored I will be documenting for all. I will also let you know how the new water system is.
Pat