NxStage Users Only - Treatment Times

I want to do a survey of when NxStagers dialyze and for how long. The other night I had to call tech support while I was on the machine. There was only one tech on call that night. The bottom line was she had to call me back because she was already on the line with somebody else. The number of NxStage users has grown to the point where NxStage is probably feeling some growing pains and someone should be looking at staffing hours. So I’d like a one line reply to the question – PLEASE NO COMMENTS. I’ll start:

start 9-10 pm CST – 2 1/2 hrs = approx 9:00 pm - 12:30 am --off Saturday

NxStage 2/06
In-center 3/03

I usually get on between 6:30 and 8:30 and dialyze for 2:53. I use 29 liters, 10.1 liters per hour and a 480-490 bfr, ff and uf depend on how much I need to remove, lately between 1 and 2.5 max.

Cathy

Cathy, AM or PM, Time Zone, Days Off?

Hi Rich,
We are on between 9 and 9:15 pm and off about 5 or 5:15am EST 8hrs and 6 days Sat off
Pat

Rich,

I couldnt agree with you more. In the last two weeks, I have had to call them twice… Once during a Red Alarm where I called NxStage and was told all reps are busy on other calls and someone would call back in 15 minutes. I said again, this is an emergency and If I wait 15 mins, my blood will clot. Any other time this would have been ok, but this was a Red Alarm where the pump had stopped. We could not figure out the problem and had to stop the treatment. I lost all of my blood that was in the lines and filter because of this. I was quite angry. The rep called back after about 15 mins. I explained the problem, and it turns out losing the blood could have been avoided and treatment could have continued. I wish we would have been told on the first call.
This was around 10am eastern.
I have called on 2 or 3 other instances during the last two months and the same thing, someone took my number and was told a rep would call me back in 15 mins.
I do my treatments between 9 and 12 noon. 2.5 hour treatments.

PM, PDST, California, Saturdays are usual day off, but do vary.

Cathy
home hemo 9/04
NxStage 3/06

[QUOTE=Anonymous;13844]Rich,

I couldnt agree with you more. In the last two weeks, I have had to call them twice… Once during a Red Alarm where I called NxStage and was told all reps are busy on other calls and someone would call back in 15 minutes. I said again, this is an emergency and If I wait 15 mins, my blood will clot. Any other time this would have been ok, but this was a Red Alarm where the pump had stopped. We could not figure out the problem and had to stop the treatment. I lost all of my blood that was in the lines and filter because of this. I was quite angry. The rep called back after about 15 mins. I explained the problem, and it turns out losing the blood could have been avoided and treatment could have continued. I wish we would have been told on the first call.
This was around 10am eastern.
I have called on 2 or 3 other instances during the last two months and the same thing, someone took my number and was told a rep would call me back in 15 mins.
I do my treatments between 9 and 12 noon. 2.5 hour treatments.[/QUOTE]

Rich, I know you said NO COMMENTS and I don’t want to offend you, but this is a very important subject, so I am taking the liberty to comment. Our experience with NxStage technical is just as Anonymous stated. Before choosing NxStage, we thought that NxStage would be there 24/7 to back us up if we had a technical problem. But when we got in a jam several times with my being a new home patient, they were not prompt to answer the phone. This happened to us a number of times over the first several months and I lost all the blood in the circuit on 2-3 occassions. Part of the problem is not just NxStage, but the short training we received. We just couldn’t remember everything and we were under the impression that NxStage, or our nurse trainer, were only a phone call away for back up if we needed them.

Both NxStage and our nurse trainer are supposed to be on 24 hr call. If we had a problem in the evening, we called NxStage as our nurse trainer usually doesn’t call back right away and he was new to NxStage and would tell us to call NxStage as he was as yet unfamiliar with all of NxStage machine’s operations. Also, it made us feel uncomfortable to call the nurse trainer in the evening/late evening, knowing he had probably worked a full shift, when we knew the NxStage technicians should be alert for their shift.

It was very scary getting into these jams that we could not get out of and not being able to get anyone on the phone to walk us through the procedure. Of course, if we had been trained better, rather then rushed through, we would not have been in this position in the first place. NxStage technicians apologized to us a number of times for their slowness to answer the phone and admitted they didn’t have enough technicians to cover and were working on rectifying the situation. But then they also told us theirs was NOT an emergency line.

So, we went through a lot of needless trouble and fear until we learned the tx, the hard way, and things finally settled down. With good training and good backup there shouldn’t be any problems like we experienced. I see we are not alone - didn’t think we were. I guess home trainers and NxStage don’t realize how scary it is when we home patients are not fully prepared- it is like throwing one who can not swim into a lake. Maybe they think that’s the only way to learn, but I think there are better ways. Everything is going smoothly for us now, but it was a very rocky, scary, stressful road until everything finally straightened out.We hung in there because it was so great to be doing txs at home and I was feeling so much better. But we never thought we would have to suffer this and would not have if our back up had been what it should be.

Jane, I agree it’s an important topic, and we’ve all had a certain amount of problems and frustrations. And commentary would normally be welcome, but in this case, I’m trying to collect data to present to NxStage of when, to the best of our knowledge, people need help. I’m sure they have their own data of the number of phone calls that come into tech support and when, and I understand their data would be more complete, but I wanted to get an independent feel,

And after your long commentary, you forgot to mention when tx is started (including time zone), length of tx and days off.

usually start 5pm 3 hours off sunday mountain time

[QUOTE=Rich Berkowitz;13854]Jane, I agree it’s an important topic, and we’ve all had a certain amount of problems and frustrations. And commentary would normally be welcome, but in this case, I’m trying to collect data to present to NxStage of when, to the best of our knowledge, people need help. I’m sure they have their own data of the number of phone calls that come into tech support and when, and I understand their data would be more complete, but I wanted to get an independent feel,

And after your long commentary, you forgot to mention when tx is started (including time zone), length of tx and days off.[/QUOTE]

Actually, Rich, I elected not to participate in the survey as I feel it is a mute point. NxStage is very well aware of the problem.They document every call and fully know how many customers were at their wits end because they did not answer the phone promptly. In taking your own survey, you may get as many as a dozen participants, or if you went to other boards, you might find a few more. How will such an incompletre survey allow you to assist NxStage to know when most customers will be calling? They already know that. Either they are a 24 hour service/support back-up or they’re not. They told us, in a round about way, that it is a misconception that they are there for emergency calls ( i.e. alarms one can not solve with blood starting to clot). They said disconnect or call 911 or ask your nurse trainer to review procedures.

I apologize for my long commentary, but the bottom line is, the answer to this serious problem is better, less rushed, training programs and either NxStage or Nurse trainers promptly answer the phone. A survey is not needed for that- it’s common sense. We have gotten very good support from both NxStage and our nurse trainer WHEN they answer our calls and walk us through tx. issues. It’s when they don’t answer the phone that problems get out of control.

I get on usually around 10 am EST, and run for a little over 2 hours (15L of dialysate). Wednesdays are usually my days off.

I usually put my Mom on in the afternoon around 2:30 pm eastern time.
Treatment time is approx. 2hrs. 20 min.
Except on Friday’s and she is on by 7:30 am.
She takes Thursdays and Saturdays off.

Can anyone tell me how long is training for NxStage dialysis?

I run 2:30 to 2:50 (hrs:min.) depending on how much I want to take off. I run 3:30 - 6:00 p.m. I run 5:00 - 8:00 a.m. I run 8:00 11:30 p.m. It varies every day. I usually take one day off though like this week I often run 5 days on an 1 day off. I use pureflow and when that isn’t timing right for me I hang bags. I exercise flexibility to the utmost using my Nx Stage. Erich

I try to get on between 5pm and 8pm. Treatments usually last around 3:15 - 3:30, using 30 liters of dialysate. Usually take Sundays off.

Hi Folks

I run for 8hrs:20min, 6 nights sunday to friday. The time I go is any where 9pm est to 10pm est.

But , Jane is right, your first call if you need help should be to your nurse. My team both at davita and my new one at wellspan, went over everything, plus I asked a ton of “what if questions”. I have only had to call nxstage tech help at the start with issues on the pure flow control unit.
bobeleanor

My preferred times are evenings between 5pm and 7pm…However, my caretakers prefer that I start early in the morning between 5am and 7am … they really want the whole day free and when it comes to the end of the day they really feel wasted and just prefer to spend time on dinner and relax… Oh well…