[Offtopic] Virtual Worlds

Its a little off topic but there’s a connection to it in the way we communicate online. Well, anyway I have been researching one of the growing online technology trends going on right this moment and I think the new generation of computer users and techies will fully embrace this new way of interacting over the net. However, I don’t think the casual social person will find this easy to imagine.

One of biggest virtual worlds online that I have looked at is “Second Life”…
Its massively huge and continues to grow and what I found interesting, while browsing there I found that there is an ESRD group with over 50 members. Astonishing that is that I even found out that businesses and advertising, BIG corps are making the jump into this new way of interacting online.

Real Life Versus Second Life
Digital Life Versus Life Digital

Are you ready for this? I even saw a woman having a baby in Second Life!! How about a transplant? Maybe dialysis?..hmmm …what are your thoughts?

Take a look at this video of footage of an example of whats taking place inside Second Life…

Since posting this I have been researching “Second Life” and have found it to be impressive. Its amazingly huge! I visited many places including representations of real Universities, Churches, and Malls. Interativity is amazingly rich, with resources and learning guides everywhere. During these explorations I came across many helpful people.

What caught my attention was how Non-Profits, Groups, Schools, and Commercial companies were making use of this technology. To give you an idea check out this list…

https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo

At the moment I have been learning this new technology and perhaps start developing a virtual world there for the purpose of educating and meeting people with Esrd in an interactive virtual world…the experience really exceeds that of a standard web based place of discussion. However, there may be a drawbacks for some of us. I think this new trend may best catch on into the new generation who have been educated on how to use a computer.

I’ve actually got a secondlife account. Been on there about twice. I signed up after one of my friends (recently transplanted!! Yay go Ingrid!!) told me about it:) It’ll reckon take off in the same way as myspace did, & facebook IS, as computers get more oomph!

But to be honest there are some things I’d rather do in reality!Kiting, swimming, taking ‘real’ photos! The reality of human touch! It’s not gonna go away for me just yet.

Who knows maybe W Shatners books on Tek, A futuristic cyber drug & Tekheads (addicts) will become a reality, scary!

[quote=JW77;14849]I’ve actually got a secondlife account. Been on there about twice. I signed up after one of my friends (recently transplanted!! Yay go Ingrid!!) told me about it:) It’ll reckon take off in the same way as myspace did, & facebook IS, as computers get more oomph!

But to be honest there are some things I’d rather do in reality!Kiting, swimming, taking ‘real’ photos! The reality of human touch! It’s not gonna go away for me just yet.

Who knows maybe W Shatners books on Tek, A futuristic cyber drug & Tekheads (addicts) will become a reality, scary![/quote]

All I can say about SL is that its impressive! I have become a devleoper for it, here’s my product listings…
Gus’s Second Life Creations …with more coming along the way.

I also met a few medical professionals doing research about SL and patients…many areas of research going on. If interested visiting my building headquarters you can try to catch me there sometime at WildWestGames Second Life

On another note, if interested in organizing ESRD meettings in Second Life let me know…

Ahh Gus! So that’s where you have been hiding…

If you noticed, I’m in British Columbia…hehehe

[B]For those of you who are interested in virtual presentations and meetings here’s an upcoming event in Second Life… If your a social worker or curious about these medical research teams using Second Life then this is your chance…

[/B]

The NHS Next Stage Review in Second Life:
England’s National Health Service (NHS) is under review: The ‘Our NHS our future’ review. The NHS is England’s publicly-funded healthcare system, providing the vast majority of healthcare in the UK, which is based on clinical need and not the ability to pay. The Review provides an opportunity to ensure that the future of the NHS is clinically led and can meet the challenges of delivering healthcare over the next decade.
As a key component of the Review, on the 21st of November there will be an International Clinical Summit on pathways to care, where 1500 invited clinicians and physicians will be meeting in real life in London. But you can follow the meeting in Second Life or via the webcast. In Second Life you will be able to register your own opinions and meet and chat with the speakers.
This SL event will mainly be of interest to healthcare professionals, both within the UK and internationally. Our Second Health Auditorium can accommodate up to 50 avatars. If there is sufficient demand we will open a second auditorium, and you can always follow the Summit’s live webcast outside SL if we are over-subscribed. Text chat will be logged, and we may record video and audio portions of the in-world event for later playback.

Dates and times21 November 2007, 14:20-18:45 Greenwich Mean Time
21 November 2007, 06:20-10:45 Second Life Time (GMT-8)

Locations
Teleport straight to the presentation area:
http://slurl.com/secondlife/National%20Health%20Service/138/126/27

If the main auditorium is full, the overflow auditorium is at:
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Nanotechnology/219/145/23 To take part in the text chat with speakers in the main auditorium, you will need to join the Second Health London group. This will be explained at the overflow auditorium.

Agenda
14.20-14.30 Welcome and opening the event (CMO)
Overview of SHA engagement events (David Nicholson)
14.30-14.45 Objectives of the NHS Next Stage Review
14.45-15.00 Setting the scene - how to move the needle on health and health
outcomes
15.00-16.00 Speaker Session One: High quality care across a healthcare system
David Levine from Montreal
Jack Cochran from Kaiser
Table discussion & questions
16.00-16.30 Tea Break (break in webcast)
16.30-17.30 Speaker Session Two: Examples of integrated care systems from
abroad
Dr Schwartz from Westchester
Prof Schulte from Polikum
17.30-18.30 Speaker Session Three: Examples of integrated care systems from
UK
Dr O’Kelly from Tiverton
Dr Ian Rutter from Bradford
18.30-18.45 Wrap up

Webcast: If the event is oversubscribed, or you can’t access SL, you can view the live webcast at
http://www.livegroup.co.uk/internationalclinicalsummit/

This email was sent by: National Physical Laboratory
Hampton Road Teddington, Middlesex TW11 0LW United Kingdom