Pain during dwell time

I am doing home dialysis ( P Cycler) and I am experiencing pain during dwell time. I have had CT scan and catherer test done and no problem was found.

Has anyone experienced this and if so what is the solution ? I am unable to do do dialysis because of the pain.

Thank you

Hi Lulinditz,

We’re not doctors, but sometimes asking the right questions can help you get to the right answers. Most often when we hear about pain with PD, it’s related either to draining or to the catheter. But I suspect your problem is something else. To sort it out, think about:
– When does the pain start: when you begin to fill, or when you are full?
– What does the pain feel like: stabbing, shooting, stretching?
– How long does the pain last, once it starts, and what helps it?

Dori

The pain start when it is full and when it is a dwell cycle.

The pain is stretching pain.

The pain stays and it is in the shoulder area . There is some relief if I apply vicks vaporub.

Where is the pain you are experiencing? My father has experienced a lot of pain is in his shoulders, arms or back. We have discovered that air in the lines is sometimes the culprit. But he still has problems.

[QUOTE=Lulinditz;16692]The pain start when it is full and when it is a dwell cycle.
The pain is stretching pain.
The pain stays and it is in the shoulder area . There is some relief if I apply vicks vaporub.[/QUOTE]

That’s just what I thought, Lulunditz. In some people, it can take time to build up to large dwells. Ask your nurse if you can do smaller dwells–say 1/2 liter less–for a week or two, and build up slowly. Please read our article about tailoring the cycler PD prescription to fit your life (http://www.homedialysis.org/resources/tom/200805/--the dwell size can be changed in amounts as small as 100mL (about half a pop can).

Do you lie down when you’re using the cycler? Lying down can reduce the pressure on your abdomen and may make the treatments more comfortable for you. Shoulder pain can also mean that some air has gotten into the lines and into your belly. This can happen if the lines are not primed properly to get all of the air out. The air is absorbed in time, so this pain should go away.

The pain has gone away and you are correct it has to be the air.

I have another question. Back in Oct 2006 I had an inguinal hernia surgery.
I am now experiencing pain in the pelvic area where the surgery was done. The pain comes and go .
Placing ice in the area seems to help and so does taking tylenon. What is the cause of this pain and how do I get rid of it? An ultra sound to the area was inconclusive according to my dr.

Hernias can come back (perhaps yours is too early for the doctor to detect yet?), or you might have some scar tissue. Have you read our article about hernias? I’m not sure if it will help, but you might learn something useful: http://www.homedialysis.org/resources/tom/200808/.