PD and Fatigue

Hi there…

A PD Nembie here, Ive been on PD for almost 3 weeks now. Some days I feel ok… and sometimes I feel wiped out. For those who have been on PD a long time, is there ever a time that this stabilizes and you begin to get more strength consistently? Im mulling over the possibility of returning to work in the next month or so, but now, Im not so sure because of the ups and downs… would appreciate any thoughts or feedback.

Thank you

Welcome, and a few thoughts, Guest. With PD, your energy levels should be pretty constant. If they’re not, I have to wonder:
– What is your hemoglobin level? Are you anemic, and if so, is your treatment getting you into the target range? Anemia causes fatigue.
– How’s your sleep been? Are you using a cycler? Is it waking you up?
– Are you used to physical activity, and if so, have you been doing any? It may sound backward, but exercise gives you MORE energy.

Think VERY seriously before you give up a job. Social Security Disability tends to only pay about 1/3 of what you earn through work, and once you stop, it can be very hard to go back. If your plan is a transplant, you’ll also need a way to pay for the immunosuppressant drugs once you’re 3 years out, if you are under 65 and don’t have some reason other than kidney failure to be disabled. So, with no recent work history or plan to pay for your drugs, many programs will not list you. Plus, work has benefits as a social outlet, self-esteem, and keeping a health plan if you have one. You can learn more about working with kidney failure in our free booklet, which you can download here: http://www.lifeoptions.org/catalog/pdfs/booklets/employment.pdf.

By the way, if you join the site, you can set up your preferences so you get emails when anyone answers you. :slight_smile:

Thank you for the response. Right now, I am on the manual PD. Not yet graduated to the machine. I am being treated for anemia and getting weekly EPO shots. But like I said the energy level is up and down, more down. I physically do not have the energy to exercise at this point, I do make a point og going out of the house on a regular basis. but I know that there is a certain level that i need to achieve before even thikning about returning to work.

Another possibility for fatigue is depression. You can take an online depression screening test here: http://www.psycom.net/depression-test/. And, though it might be tempting to blame all energy ills in your life on kidney failure or PD, there might be something else going on. Have you seen your doctor?

How many liters are you using per exchange? Do you know how your labs are ( creatinine, BUN and Hemoglobin)
I was on PD for over 12 years.
You more than likely will not feel as you did when your kidneys were functioning, but you still should be able to complete your daily activities, perhaps not to the full extent, but still able. Of course everyone is different. It will take a while for your body to adjust. This is a big change for the body. How much exercise do you try to do daily?

Also, as Dori stated, stay working as long as possible. Stay off of disability as long as you can. The insurance not nearly as well as a good employees plan and you will not make anywhere near what you did while working.

///MM

Right now, I am doing 1500 4 times a day… until I can build up to 2000 once my exit site has completely healed. I think that my BUN is around 50 and Creatinine is around 7. Like I said, Im so depleted, I have no energy at all to do exercise… Im dragging just to be able to do my daily exhanges and thats at home, by myself. Im not sure of my Hemocrit, I think it was around 26 before I started the shots. They will be doing my monthly labs this week. As I said, my plan is to return to my job, not only does it get me out of th house but I truly enjoy what I am doing. Im not under the delusion that I will be like I was prior to all of this, but I cant imagine that things will stay like they are right now.

For a Hct, 26 is is still low, so that could be part of the problem. Also, if you’re doing 1500 but need 2000, you may only be getting 75% of the dialysis you need–and that level is the ROCK BOTTOM MINIMUM. So, you may want to see how you feel once you’re up to 2000, and once your Hct hits 30-33. (Even that is about 25% below normal for a healthy person, but it’s the best they’ll do for you on dialysis).

PD and Fatigue

Hi there…

A PD Nembie here, Ive been on PD for almost 3 weeks now. Some days I feel ok… and sometimes I feel wiped out. For those who have been on PD a long time, is there ever a time that this stabilizes and you begin to get more strength consistently? Im mulling over the possibility of returning to work in the next month or so, but now, Im not so sure because of the ups and downs… would appreciate any thoughts or feedback.

Thank you

Fatigue could be a sign of anemia, it could also mean you might be removing too much fluid.
Which dialysate solutions do you use??? Do you have a set prescription or can you decide which solutions to us (1.5% 2.5% 4.25% or extraneal) based on your weight, B/P or edema??
If you don’t have edama and are using anything stronger than a 1.5% you will feel tired/fatigued.

Do you know what your sodium level was on your last lab work?
If your sodium is a bit low (normal is 136-145) you will also feel fatigued, that happens to me often.
Check your labs or ask your PD nurse if sodium was low.

I agree that on PD your energy levels should remain pretty constant unless there are any other factors that can change that.
low Hbg, low B/P would be some of those factors.

Good luck and stay well!!

Marina

The URL for the depression screening test Dori referred to has changed to http://www.psycom.net/depression-test/

The URL for the depression screen that Dori referred to is now http://www.psycom.net/depression-test/

The URL for the depression screen Dori referred to has changed to http://www.psycom.net/depression-test/