PD and Fluid Restrictions?

Does anyone else on PD have fluid restrictions? My husband was told he has no fluid restrictions, but I read that people on dialysis should have fluid restrictions? Thanks for any information you can give me.

Patients on in-center hemodialysis 3 times a week have the most restrictive diet. Patients who do daily therapy (PD or hemodialysis) may or may not have a fluid restriction depending on how they drink and how much urine output they have. If your husband is new to PD, it’s possible that he will need a fluid restriction if his urine output drops or if he drinks more fluid than his PD can remove.

Patients in PD training are taught how to choose which solution to use based on their weight gain, blood pressure, and if they have edema (swelling). When patients gain too much fluid weight by drinking too much fluid, they’re taught to use some of the high dextrose content PD solution (4.25%). The high sugar content pulls off extra fluid. However, patients are also typically told that it’s best not to use too many 4.25% dialysate bags because over time the high sugar content can damage the peritoneal membrane making it not able to transport wastes very well which could require that patient to switch to hemodialysis.

Beth,

Thank you so much for your help. I truly appreciate your kindness.

Sarah