PD and my stomach

Hi! I just started PD a couple of weeks ago after doing hemo for a month. The first couple of weeks were definitely rough - I was really sick and had a lot of pain - but all that seems to be getting better. However, now that I am feeling better, I want to start being active again. I’ve asked both my doctor and my dialysis nurse what kind of activities I could do. They said such things as walking, swimming, LIGHT weights, etc. However, they said no jogging and no sit-ups. However, they didn’t seem to know whether I could do things like Yoga or core exercises. Does anyone know if these are safe? And also, are there stomach exercises I can do? One thing i wasn’t expecting from the PD was how big my stomach looks from the fluid! Does that get better? I know that is a pretty shallow question, but I want to look normal again and fit back into my clothes!
Thanks!

Welcome to Home Dialysis Central! If you register as a member, you can get emails to tell you if someone responds to your question. I’m not a PD patient or nurse, but I can help with some of your questions.

I’ve asked both my doctor and my dialysis nurse what kind of activities I could do. They said such things as walking, swimming, LIGHT weights, etc. However, they said no jogging and no sit-ups.

The reason for avoiding jogging or sit ups with PD is because when you have fluid in your peritoneum (or you do sit ups with fluid), the bouncing or stretching raises your intraperitoneal pressure, which can raise your risk of getting a hernia.

However, they didn’t seem to know whether I could do things like Yoga or core exercises. Does anyone know if these are safe?

Some doctors recommend that patients do more strenuous types of exercise after draining out all or most of the PD fluid, so you’re empty, or close to empty. This reduces your risk of hernia, and may make stretching exercise, like yoga, more possible for you. Other people who do PD may have some thoughts for you, too.

I have been on PD for over a year and I exercise regularly. Mainly the treadmill, cross trainer and I go walking in a national park nearby.

Before I commenced PD I did yoga and pilates. However, my surgeon adviced me not to do pilates and I found that I was unable to do yoga especially lying on my stomach due to the fluid sloshing around.

Hope this helps