Pd body image

What to expect in Peritoneal dialysis Body changes in myself? Not that i’m worried, but how can I prevent bloating? Stretch marks (way to prevent) because of bloating? Should I be concerned? I have this SLE lupus for 27 years and I think I handle it pretty well for a person. I never complain about lupus and never ask why, cause like that song from Kid Rock " Only GOD Knows Why". Can I prevent these body changes from ruining what little self esteem I have left inside?? Cause it NEVER shows on the outside(my self esteem).
I fight lupus everyday with the attitude that I will not let this illness take over but the body changes and it looks like I won’t be able to control them???
Karen~

Hi Karen,

Have you by any chance checked out the Sexuality and Fertility module of Kidney School? There’s a lot of good info on PD and body image in there, at http://www.kidneyschool.org/mod_11/mod11_01.shtml

[QUOTE=Dori Schatell;18880]Hi Karen,

Have you by any chance checked out the Sexuality and Fertility module of Kidney School? There’s a lot of good info on PD and body image in there, at http://www.kidneyschool.org/mod_11/mod11_01.shtml[/QUOTE]

Why would this help me? My Sexuality and fertility is not in question. Body Image and how I can prevent PD body changes.
Karen~

Body image is part of what we cover in that module, especially as it has to do with PD. I remember hearing about a young man who did PD, and was in really good physical shape. He didn’t develop a belly from PD at all, probably because his abdominal muscles were so good. If you use a cycler at night and are not full during the day, that can make a difference, too. I’ve not heard of anyone ever say they got stretch marks from PD–but that doesn’t mean it can’t happen. You might also ask the body image question of our PD nurse.

Thank you for your quick reply. Its nice to see that someone is out there. lol, I understand better now. I’m not that concerned where I worry, cause my body from Lupus already looks like a war zone.
Thought for the day “I HAVE’NT LOST THE BATTLE YET”

Karen~

Exactly! Attitude is more than half the battle, so I would say you are winning. :slight_smile: