Pd exit site red sore

HI guys havent been here in awhile but still have this pd in (even though STILL not working) I do have a perma cath and also had fistula put in…
I am still trying to find a dr to take this out and put another one in …One dr told me it is unlikely it will work since the first one failed…(I still dont think first one failed I think it was put in wrong)
Anways here is problem…I had big scab on exit site that came off …next day it is red and sore …today even worse… Dr (even though he didnt see it) says it is infection and must have removed .He wants me to go on IV antibiotics tomorrow at dialysis… Is there anything I can put on topical???
thanks

I’m glad you popped back in, Piglets, I was wondering how you were doing. Kinda sounds like same-old same-old in terms of your care, unfortunately. It’s great that you have a fistula if you’ll be continuing with HD, and that you haven’t given up on PD. I agree that just because one catheter doesn’t work doesn’t mean another one wouldn’t.

Usually elsewhere on the body if a scab comes off, it is because the tissue under it has healed. If you disrupt a scab and the tissue isn’t healed yet, it would be red and sore, though not sure it would be worse the next day–it probably would be better. Offhand I can’t think of any reason why you wouldn’t want to put an antibiotic cream on it–but I’m not a doctor or nurse. Let me email that question to a PD nurse and see if we can get a better answer for you.

[QUOTE=Dori Schatell;16255]I’m glad you popped back in, Piglets, I was wondering how you were doing. Kinda sounds like same-old same-old in terms of your care, unfortunately. It’s great that you have a fistula if you’ll be continuing with HD, and that you haven’t given up on PD. I agree that just because one catheter doesn’t work doesn’t mean another one wouldn’t.

Usually elsewhere on the body if a scab comes off, it is because the tissue under it has healed. If you disrupt a scab and the tissue isn’t healed yet, it would be red and sore, though not sure it would be worse the next day–it probably would be better. Offhand I can’t think of any reason why you wouldn’t want to put an antibiotic cream on it–but I’m not a doctor or nurse. Let me email that question to a PD nurse and see if we can get a better answer for you.[/QUOTE]
Piglets Can I tell you my story? I had a PDcatheter put in and it leaked and it didn’t work from the beginning and I had terrible abdominal pains the dr. put me in the hospital for three day s but didn’t remove the catheter. so I went to a different dr. and he removed the catheter and put in a new one . I have been on PD for four months doing just fine. So I think there is still hope for you. good luck .
Cheers virtsma

I previously posted other things I’ve heard of that cause a catheter not to work correctly. However, I happened to watch a show called Life or Death on Discovery Health last night. The particular show was called Mystery Bug. It will be shown again July 26. In it a town was hit with an e. coli epidemic and several people had gotten sick and a few had died. The show told of a young child who had gotten sick, was near death, whose kidneys had failed and the doctors put him on PD. He didn’t improve and when they checked it out, they found that the omentum (a fold in the peritoneum) had surrounded the catheter preventing it from working. They cut back the omentum and the catheter started working. The child got better.

If you want to do PD, I think you’re going to need to get a second opinion from someone who knows more about PD and is willing to do more than tell you to go on HD. What are the reasons why you’re choosing to stay with this doctor and this dialysis clinic?