Pediatric home hemo

JUST WONDERING IF ANY OF YOU HAVE CHILDREN ON HOME HEMO,OR KNOW OF ANY.ALSO DO ANY OF YOU USE THE NEW "NX STAGE "MACHINE[/b]

There’s a 14-15 year old teeanger using NxStage, she posted a few times here…both her father and she do it at home already and it seems they’re enjoying every bit of it…

Hi Gus,
Our clinic the Rubin Center has 7 people on Nxstage. They were at a conference in San Fransico last week and talked to the Nxstage people about nocturnal. They are working very diligently to get a water system and the capability to do nocturnal. They already have the software for the monitoring.(our center moniters) The head of our nocturnal asked us if we would be interested in testing the nocturnal when it comes out.
I said YES YES YES.
I think that chose us because we live close to the center.
Marty- they said about 6 mo to a year they hope the nocturnal will be ready.
I can not wait. When hubby and I travel I can just take it in the back of our van along with the bags and a computer to hook into the net and we could be in Montana and be dialysing nightly while being monitored.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Can’t wait!
Pat Colongione

Interesting news there… 8)

P.S. A little off-topic based on Linda’s post but otherwise worthy…hehe

The first person to do home hemo in the U.S. was a 15 year old girl from the Seattle, WA area. Her mother was trained as her partner and in 1964, 9 years before Medicare started covering dialysis, she went home.

Transplant is the first choice of treatment for children with kidney failure because it allows them to grow more normally and most children awaiting transplants do PD. However, home hemo is a good option because it allows children to attend regular school and do activities with their friends rather than spending part of their normal daytime in a dialysis clinic. I haven’t heard whether research has shown any improvement in growth in children on longer or more frequent dialysis or whether they still need human growth hormone.

In my own expereince,

growing up all my life as a kid, teenager in-center has not been good at all, to a certain degree, but as a life saver to keep you alive its the only option I had and valued…

…today, with machines like NxStage or even PD those options are worthy to consider, would make life more better for a teenager…