Phosphorus supplements

I am on nocturnal 8 hours 6 days a week.

My phosphorus is below normal even before a treatment and goes further below normal after the treatment.

I have tried taking Neutraphos but it did not help and it has too much of Potassium.

Has anyone taken a Phosphorus supplement? If so, which one and how much?

Thanks
Kamal

[quote=kamalshah20;11164]I am on nocturnal 8 hours 6 days a week.

My phosphorus is below normal even before a treatment and goes further below normal after the treatment.

I have tried taking Neutraphos but it did not help and it has too much of Potassium.

Has anyone taken a Phosphorus supplement? If so, which one and how much?

Thanks
Kamal[/quote]

I’ve taken other supplements that have Phosphorous…in some cases it works very well, but still you have to eat foods with high phosphorous…
http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100677&navAction=jump&navCount=0&skuid=sku374160&id=prod374159

Some of us on Nocturnal add a supplement to the dialysate called “Fleet” (which is actually really an enema). i don’t add it when I do short runs.
Cheers

Low phosphorus is common among nocturnal patients, at least those using bicarbonate dialysis. We have not seen the need with lactate dialysis (NxStage), but our experience is very limited. We have used Fleet PhosphoSoda-unflavored for the past four years, the same stuff you buy to prepare for a colonoscopy, which is sodium phosphate. I believe this solution originate with the Toronto group who pioneered home nocturnal dialysis. Doses prescribed have ranged from 15 ml to 27.5 ml, depending on phosphorus lab values. Most drug stores sell it, but it pays to shop for the lowest price on the Internet.

Mel

Thanks all of you for your replies. I’ll try and see if I can get something similar here in India.

[QUOTE=Mel;11203]Low phosphorus is common among nocturnal patients, at least those using bicarbonate dialysis. We have not seen the need with lactate dialysis (NxStage), but our experience is very limited. We have used Fleet PhosphoSoda-unflavored for the past four years, the same stuff you buy to prepare for a colonoscopy, which is sodium phosphate. I believe this solution originate with the Toronto group who pioneered home nocturnal dialysis. Doses prescribed have ranged from 15 ml to 27.5 ml, depending on phosphorus lab values. Most drug stores sell it, but it pays to shop for the lowest price on the Internet.

Mel[/QUOTE]

Is this taken orally or added to the tx.? I know the stuff they give for colonoscopy tastes very bad. I think someone said the Pureflow is bicarbonate based so that would change the situation for NxStage users as far as needing added phos.

I add 10 ml to the dialysate (Part A ) bottle

According to my clinic its still lactate based…

[QUOTE=Gus;11172]I’ve taken other supplements that have Phosphorous…in some cases it works very well, but still you have to eat foods with high phosphorous…
http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100677&navAction=jump&navCount=0&skuid=sku374160&id=prod374159

[/QUOTE]

Gus,
This link goes to a page that says the phos product is no longer available. Do you still use a phos supplement, and if so, which one?