Problems Draining?!?!

… if you’re havin problems draining, what does this mean?.. they’re putting 2.4 L in but only draining 2.2L out. Constipation is a factor, I know… and I also read that when In the long term, there can be a thickening of the peritoneal membrane so that it does not work efficiently. The dialysis fluid may need to be changed or switched to haemodialysis… But can this work in the reverse?!? Can the peritoneal membrane become worn… causeing a leakage… therefore causeing fluid to travel throughout the body??

Any other added information would be great !
Thank you

Has your nurse done a PET (Peritoneal Equilibration Test)? The results of this test will show how fast your peritoneal membrane transports waste products from your blood stream into the peritoneal fluid.

If you’re a high transporter (wastes cross fast), your body is probably absorbing too much fluid and glucose for you to be on CAPD. You would probably do better on APD/CCPD (cycler).

People that are average transporters can do well on either CAPD or APD/CCPD while people that are slow transporters do not do better on CAPD than on APD/CCPD.

Here’s a website that explains how the test is done and what the result mean:
http://www.kidney.org.uk/Medical-Info/pd/pet_test.html

hello i am a pd patient and is ver concern about the pockets of water that is in my stomach. After being on the pd machine their is still lots of water in my stomach and it is very uncomfortable.I like to know what should i do about it.

if you havent already, please speak with your PD nurse and your nephrologist about these issues. have them take a look at your flow sheet numbers. keep an eye on your blood pressures. sometimes the body retains some of the PD fluid inside of you, meaning that you would not drain out as much as you put it. please have your PD nurse and nephrologist check your “total ultrafiltrate” numbers on your flow sheet. if your health providers do not know about your constipation, please let them know. thats not good for PD patients especially. they can give you something for constipation. if you take iron, this may be the cause of the constipation, but let your providers know regardless. i dont know what would be considered “long term” PD treatment, but i’ve been on PD since 9/06 and thusfar my adequacy studies have been fine, my treatments are going very well. hope this has helped somewhat? take care…good health to you…

I am on a cycler at night and all of a sudden I was not draining, alarms were going off during each drain. I had an xray order to see where the cath. was getting hung up. Dr could not tell from xray so I had outatient surgery Monday, 3 incisions were necessary, one from the scope to see and two for each tool to pull the omentum from the catheter, it had started to grow on there. Dr said it was not common, but something to think about. I a 2 days post op, no dialysis since surgery, won’t start again until tomorrow, so I am starting not to feel well.

Welcome, Male 38. (Hmm. Catchy name. ;-)) I’m glad that they were able to figure out and hopefully solve your problem–and that you’ll be able to restart PD tomorrow, since going without for too long is not a good idea. Thank you for sharing your experience, and please feel free to pop in any time. Let us know how it goes when you restart.

Hi… I am on the manual 4bags a day PD and its working well… as long as I make the time to do all 4 bags each day. I sure feel it when I miss one. I am filling 1500 ml of 1/5% fluid and now have a double hernia … umbilical and one higher up than that one. The surgeon says they are caused from PD and now I must have surgery on both of them. Bummer. Any info on what brings this on…? Is surgery the best option to treat it and Is it damaging to wait 3 weeks for the surgeries? My intense weight gain and this hernia issue were issues not discussed as potentials with PD by my nurse prior to going on PD or in the training. I was previously on Hemo for 4 1/2 mos.

thanx
Mishel in Boise

Hi Mishel,

The PD fluid in your belly puts an extra strain on the muscle walls of your abdomen, and that can increase your chance of having a hernia. Read our article about hernias and what to expect, and please pop back in if you have more questions. That article is here: http://www.homedialysis.org/resources/tom/200808/. We also have an article about doing low-volume recumbant only PD while you recover from surgery–it’s a way to avoid doing HD with a catheter: http://www.homedialysis.org/resources/tom/200505/.