Problems with arterial buttonhole

I am on nocturnal 8 hours 6 times a week.

I have had my buttonholes created about 8 months back. There are 2 problems that I am currently facing.

A few months back I used to have problems with blood oozing out from the sides of the buttonholes due to movement of my arm. But ever since I have started tying my finger with a rope and a plaster, that problem had subsided. I also have the DRI sleeper so I do get an alarm whenever there is oozing. But what has been happening quite often recently is that the mouth of the buttonhole has become quite large and whenever the scab covering it is removed, after a few hours of beginning the treatment, blood starts oozing out from the sides of the buttonhole and this is very difficult to control. A couple of days back, I had to close up because the blood just would not stop.

Another problem that has started recently is pain while cannulating the artery. There is quite a lot of pain which subsides in about 10 minutes after cannulation. Sometimes though the pain continues in which case I pull out the needle very slightly and the pain subsides but then the risk of the oozing described above greatly increases.

None of the above problems happen to the venous buttonhole.

I was always using 16 guage buttonhole needles but from about a month I am using 15 guage since the 16 guage ones were not available. Could the above problems be due to this?

I am depending on this group for advice because in India, where I live I don’t know of anyone who is using buttonholes nor anybody who knows about the buttonhole method (includes doctors).

Thanks
Kamal

[quote=kamalshah20;11163]I am on nocturnal 8 hours 6 times a week.

I have had my buttonholes created about 8 months back. There are 2 problems that I am currently facing.

A few months back I used to have problems with blood oozing out from the sides of the buttonholes due to movement of my arm. But ever since I have started tying my finger with a rope and a plaster, that problem had subsided. I also have the DRI sleeper so I do get an alarm whenever there is oozing. But what has been happening quite often recently is that the mouth of the buttonhole has become quite large and whenever the scab covering it is removed, after a few hours of beginning the treatment, blood starts oozing out from the sides of the buttonhole and this is very difficult to control. A couple of days back, I had to close up because the blood just would not stop.

Another problem that has started recently is pain while cannulating the artery. There is quite a lot of pain which subsides in about 10 minutes after cannulation. Sometimes though the pain continues in which case I pull out the needle very slightly and the pain subsides but then the risk of the oozing described above greatly increases.

None of the above problems happen to the venous buttonhole.

I was always using 16 guage buttonhole needles but from about a month I am using 15 guage since the 16 guage ones were not available. Could the above problems be due to this?

I am depending on this group for advice because in India, where I live I don’t know of anyone who is using buttonholes nor anybody who knows about the buttonhole method (includes doctors).

Thanks
Kamal[/quote]

The first thing I’d do is consult with your Dr. and dialysis clinic…they’re the best advise you can get, but I see your from Inida…hmmm.

From reading your post seems to me that your buttonholes may be either damaged, infected, and or both. Have you been using sharp needles over your buttonholes? For example, on sessions that you couold not get a buttonhole you would use a sharp over it instead? Are you using a blunt needle for your buttonholes?

Hi Kamal
If you read Bear’s previous post about an infection in the buttonhole, you know how serious that can be. he told me he wasn’t really aware of the infection, but the bleeding wouldn’t stop and he went down quickly.
get it properly checked out and get some antibiotics quickly if there is a concern.
Only other suggestion is because you are having so much dialysis, your Heparin/Clexane dose may be too high.
Hope all is okay.

I am using blunt needles. But I did use sharp needles about 2 months back a couple of times.

How do I know if there is an infection? Is there some test or scan that can be done?

Thanks for your help!

Kamal

Advice I was given is any redness, soreness,itchiness, pain, oozing any pus or bleeding excessively would be suspicious. Then not feeling all that well can also indicate a problem.
Let’s hope it is not an infection. Chin up!

Importantly, forgot to mention HOT to touch ): and running a temperature…