Question about travel with NxStage

Hello folks; I just discovered this board - it is a great resource!

I have a quick question that, hopefully, someone will be able to answer. I’m interested to learn more about traveling with the NxStage device. Specifically, what are the dimensions of the hard-case aluminum shipping box?

I’ve searched all over, and haven’t been able to find this info. I have read that it weighs exactly 100 lbs, when packed.

Thanks!
Ray

Hi Ray,

Glad you found us, and if you register, you’ll get an email when someone answers you so you don’t have to keep checking back. (Not that we mind if you keep checking back). :smiley: I don’t know the outside dimensions of the NxStage travel case–I suspect that either one of our NxStage folks will know, or you can always contact NxStage and ask them.

I did want you to know about our article about air travel with a NxStage (or PD) cycler, which tells you your rights, what you don’t have to pay for, and cites the FAA regulations (it’s good to bring this along to the airport). You can download it at: http://www.homedialysis.org/resources/tom/200606/. Our other original articles about PD and home HD are at: http://www.homedialysis.org/resources/reading/

Thanks Dori - you’ve done an incredible job with this website!

I did contact NxStage, but haven’t heard back from them yet, other than a link to their webpage. Hopefully one of your NxStage users will be able to answer.

I’ll check out the articles you referred to.

Best,
Ray

Ray,
Welcome! This is a great sight. You also can check a web site just for Nxstage users.
It is located on Yahoo.com You can locate it if you type in groups nxstage,
We are a great bunch of people and there is a lot of info there.
What kind of traveling are you thinking about?
We just did 2 weeks in Myrtle Beach. We drove and I put the cycler in back seat and belted it in.I than put other soft stuff around it so it would not move.
Worked out great.
Have you talked to your rep at nxstage?
Pat

Hi there;

The information that you require can be had from you customer service at NxStage…
I talked to my customer service when I order my supplies and mentioned to her that I was planning trips using the NxStage System One and before I could blink and eye I had a package from NxStage with travel information… Very Handy material in package…

Like Pat, we have traveled by AUTO and just loaded the System One in the back of the VAN and made sure it did not move around… The first time I used a box that that was used for trade shows. It made for a very bulky package, but the box was used to set the machine on when my partner did her treatments…

Until I get a helper to assist getting the Box with the machine around the airport, because of the weight and bulk. and Have to figure a way to get the pole cut down so it fits into the BOX… It would be like taking and IV pole on to the airplane. And all the different airlines have different regulations… But it is doable just have to make up my mind that it is no big deal.

HemoHelper

I also have traveled with the Nxstage cycler. I got the black soft sided case from our unit. It has wheels and a pull handle similar to a suitcase. It worked great to take machine in and out of hotel. Also I had a IV pole made that screwed together and just took the top part off of the stationary pole to put on the travel pole and it works great. Can’t tell the difference between the two poles.
Nxstage was suppose to have these poles made. They had me send them my travel pole so they could test it. It passed. Maybe you could talk to one of the techs about this. The tech that requested my travel pole his name is Brian.

Good Luck
Lisa

Lisa;

Thanks for the information of ther screwed together IV pole… I was planning on doing the same thing. When you we check into a Hotel I just have the Hotel send out the bell hop and a cart and load it on to the cart with our supplies and have them take it to our room… and when it is time to pack up and leave just call the front desk and have them send up the cart and away you go… it might cost you a few $$$$'s to have them get the machine loaded and unloaded from your vehicle but it sure saves the back…just tell them it is heavy and to be careful because it is a medical device…A dialysis machine.

HemoHelper

[QUOTE=LMG;14792]I also have traveled with the Nxstage cycler. I got the black soft sided case from our unit. It has wheels and a pull handle similar to a suitcase. It worked great to take machine in and out of hotel. Also I had a IV pole made that screwed together and just took the top part off of the stationary pole to put on the travel pole and it works great. Can’t tell the difference between the two poles.
Nxstage was suppose to have these poles made. They had me send them my travel pole so they could test it. It passed. Maybe you could talk to one of the techs about this. The tech that requested my travel pole his name is Brian.

Good Luck
Lisa[/QUOTE]

A month ago I flew out of Reagan National Airport. The Skycap helped me with the 100 pound case that my dialysis center lent to me. It has big red crosses on it. I mentioned to the Skycap that he was carrying my kidney. He asked, “is it packed in ice?” I had a good laugh and explained that it was my mechanical kidney.

When flying with the case I found it useful to have a significant amount of tip money, skycap, taxi cab driver, bellmen. Especially when the bellmen bring up 15 boxes of dialysate. They are lifesavers, literally.

Good luck with your travels. Erich

I forgot to mention, you can carry on the dialysate bag holding pole. It will get mangled if you check it. I got a few stares. I put a red cross on it and was prepared to explain to anyone who asked that it part of a medical device. Just don’t forget it when you stow in in the luggage rack. Erich

I’ve flown several times now with my SystemOne machine. It as actually pretty easy to do - as long as you rely heavily on the resources of the air carrier you are using, and any hotel staff (if you are staying in a hotel).

I always get in touch with someone at the airline that handles working with disabled passengers. I tell them what I will be bringing along that is part of my dialysis setup. I make sure that it is noted on my record that I will be bringing a whole lot of extra luggage that I should not be paid for. I also make sure that someone from the airline (usually a skycap, but not always) will be there when I arrive to unload and check all of my extra stuff and someone is their when I land to help with the extra stuff so that I can get it into my car.

As far as the pole, I just put it in the cardboard tube that it came in and check it with all of my other stuff.

I’ve never had any problem, but I am sure that is only because I contact the airline way ahead of time and get them to put all of my needs on my record. It also helps to double check and triple check that everything you need is indeed listed in your records before you actually make the trip.

And yes, extra $1’s come in very handy to show your appreciation to those that help you with all of the heavy/bulky equipment.

Eston Burciaga