Record for Time On PD?

How long has someone you know or known to have been on Peritoneal Dialysis?
And,Or, is it only a certain time before we need to start Hemo? I have small veins, “A hard stick”, and I’m afraid that hemo won’t be good for me. What’s the record? Does anyone know?
Karen~

The longest I know of that anyone has done PD is about 18 years–a couple of people I know of have done it that long, and another did it for 8 years between transplants. The important thing is to do every exchange exactly as you’re taught, and avoid infections.

Your support person posted in another thread about his concern about pets being in the room with you. He’s absolutely right that this not a good idea when you’re connecting–and that there is a risk of a pet biting through tubing or leaving hair floating in the room that could cause an infection. it’s possible to have pets and do PD – but the must be kept out during exchanges (and preferably during sleep.

Most people are only able to do PD for a couple of years–because they get an infection. This is completely preventable IF you take precautions.

[QUOTE=Dori Schatell;18910]The longest I know of that anyone has done PD is about 18 years–a couple of people I know of have done it that long, and another did it for 8 years between transplants. The important thing is to do every exchange exactly as you’re taught, and avoid infections.

Your support person posted in another thread about his concern about pets being in the room with you. He’s absolutely right that this not a good idea when you’re connecting–and that there is a risk of a pet biting through tubing or leaving hair floating in the room that could cause an infection. it’s possible to have pets and do PD – but the must be kept out during exchanges (and preferably during sleep.

Most people are only able to do PD for a couple of years–because they get an infection. This is completely preventable IF you take precautions.[/QUOTE]

[B]Thank you for yor reply.

I don’t plan on being on Dialysis long I hope. I would like to find a donor, but with having Lupus, the Donor practically has to be “Perfect”.
As for the animals, Guy and I know during access and de-access, their out, but I don’t have the heart to “shut them out all night long”.Maybe just the shltie Collie and not the cats? The animals are what make me Happy and I guess we’ll do what we can about the Hair. Guy said he’s buying us a special Vacuum cleaner and getting 2 new air purifiers. Guys is clean freak and sometimes a worrier. I can see his concerns but I will not budge on the animal issues. I love my animals. I can not see throwing them out of the room at night. They comfort me. Guy and I will have to do the best with the situation we have. Guy cares a lot about my health and I value his opinions, as other’s, respectively.
Karen~ [/B]

I know someone who has been on PD for 12 years. He had several infections right at first and it was frustrating for him and his training team. Few people have to stop doing PD because they have one episode of infection, however, multiple infections can damage the peritoneal membrane’s ability to transport wastes. Luckily, he was able to stay on PD in spite of the infections and he is so good at taking care of himself that he has not had a single infection in the last 7-8 years.

Using a higher concentration of dialysis solution can damage the peritoneal membrane and require someone to use another type of treatment from PD. People who need to take of extra fluid use the higher sugar content solution. However, It’s much safer for PD longevity to limit the fluid you drink rather than drinking more than you’re allowed that may require you to use a dialysate with higher sugar content to remove the extra fluid.

I was on CAPD for 13 years until I developed Encapsulated Peritoneal Sclerosig. ( A condition where the peritoneal membrane becomes scarred with fibrotic tissue and encapsulates the surounding organs.)
This During the time I had 3 episodes of Peritonitits. It is the EPS that caused major dificulties and will never be able to go on PD again for my peritoneal membrane is scarred. I am now on Home Hemo. PD is great until it is no longer viable…I was lucky to have a nephrologist who knew the symptoms of EPS and was able to treat it at once.

///MM

[QUOTE=MiracleMan;18919]I was on CAPD for 13 years until I developed Encapsulated Peritoneal Sclerosig. ( A condition where the peritoneal membrane becomes scarred with fibrotic tissue and encapsulates the surounding organs.)
This During the time I had 3 episodes of Peritonitits. It is the EPS that caused major dificulties and will never be able to go on PD again for my peritoneal membrane is scarred. I am now on Home Hemo. PD is great until it is no longer viable…I was lucky to have a nephrologist who knew the symptoms of EPS and was able to treat it at once.

///MM[/QUOTE]

thank you,MM, great information from the personal side of experence with PD and possible things to look for. It’s all new to me, but not for long. Now that lupus messed with my Kidneys and told them to stop working, I’ll be living a different kind of life, not that I don’t adapt well and my will to survive ONLY gets Stronger etc…
Your’s and other replys are greatly appreciated and adds to my knowledge. thanx.
Karen~Guy*

Well first of all, let me introduce myself. my name is andrea celeste. i already have my transplant, but before this i started on peritoneal dialysis at the age of 15. I never did hemo, only peritoneal and it was for about 3 years. At the age of 18, I received my transplant. My doctor would always tell me that if i didnt find a transplant i could stay for most of my life on peritoneal dialysis, that is if i didnt get peritonitis. so, i really dont think there is a limit on to how much time a person can be on peritoneal.

That is great to hear Celeste, I’m hoping I don’t have to go with Hemo. For some reason, It seems like with all the restriction’s and the treatment process alone were enough to make a quick decision on PD.
It’s nice to meet you and I hope your new kidney is serving you well. Keep me us here up-to-date with your progress and hope to hear from you soon.
Karen~

Does anyones here take prednisone? I know it is usually given for transplants, but i also know they give it for some diseases as well. I took it since before i had my transplant for a disease called vasculitis… it is the immune system attacking my own body, in this case, my kidneys… Well, one of the side effects is mood swings. and i am very tierd. at one point i can be all happy and with alot of energy, but after that i start feeling all sad and really there is no reason for me to feel that way… it is getting to me… so really, if any of you have something that might help, please let me know… thanx :slight_smile:

celeste88,

I have been taking predneson for over 20 years. I take 10mg per day. I take it for Muliple Reasons including Adrenal Insuficiency and Encapsulating Sclerosing Peritonititis. What dosage are you on?

///MM

hey thanks for answering…

i am currently taking 7.5mg per day

and take it for vasculitis and as an antirejection med for my kidney transplant

Celeste88,

Not sure if you mentioned this or not, but do you have the puffy cheaks on 7.5mg of pred?

//MM

My clinic has a patient having done PD for 17 years and another patient for 16 years.

its been a long ime since i have been on this site. I did want to reply. I am on the cycler, and the cat did come into my room and tried to bite my cathater, lucky for me (not for her), I caught her in time that i hit her on her head (i know i am mean), but she has not tried to bite it again! Not proud to say that, but like i said my cat does not try to bite it again!.

Lisa