SDD and free time on tx

It seems like SDD is restrictive of one’s time. Maybe it’s worse when one is first being trained. Eventhough the txs are somewhat shorter, one has to document every 30 min. and always be watching for problems unlike someone on in-center hemo who is being cared for by the staff and is freer to watch tv, or do any of a number of activities he wants to do. Yes, one is at home and is free of the unit environment and restrictions, but there’s a lot of tx stuff to do to occupy one’s time while on SDD, so do those who do this modality ever achieve being able to watch the tx while doing productive things they want to do at the same time? For the reasons I’ve stated , it seems like nocturnal txs are a much better use of ones time.

Well if you want to watch t.v., the ad breaks’ll come around often enough for you to fill in charts, take b.p., etc. When I as doing daytime, if I was reading I would pick a certain number of pages @ which to stop & do figs.
For those of us on nocturnal, we only do temp/b.p./figs at start and finish, so once on, you can read or watch telly, until you’re ready to settle down to sleep.

Har, har…absurd… :?

Absolutely not, document every 30min not at all…I do it once an hour…before I use to do it every 30min…

During treatment I am doing other things such as school work, browsing the net on the laptop, chatting with others, writing papers, so basicly have other options for those few hours you dialyze, its not entirely focuses on the machine just staring at it… :stuck_out_tongue:

You make it seem like as if it were an electric chair…

Gus wrote:

Absolutely not, document every 30min not at all…I do it once an hour…before I use to do it every 30min…

How is it you only have to document once an hr. now? That at leaste would be better as far as more time to do other things.

On second thought, what if your bp was dropping- half hr intervals would be better to be aware of what’s happening.

They make us log a round every 30 minutes when on short daily. This is because you can easily be looking at removing 1000 or more ml per hour in this situation, and so there’s always at least a remote chance of a hypotensive crash. However unlikely because I think I’ve been dialyzing so long and never had one, this is NOT a chance I want to take when I’m dialyzing at home. It’s bad enough when it happens at a dialysis centre, but at home could be catastrophic. When I do short daily, I just turn on automatic blood pressure monitoring and set it for 30 minutes. For nocturnal, I turn it off.
Pierre

Rememeber the other thread you posted about in-center vs. daily-short at home…the cramps and that sort of stuff? Well anyway, Daily short is too gentle to be worrying about taking reports every 30min…probably the only report you’d document is when you feel sick or give yourself saline or any misc related to the treatment. I’vew read about other patients only do a pre report and a post report…that’s all!

On the other hand in-center reporting every 30min is a must! People’s blood pressures have dropped harshly withing a few minutes on dialysis! …its not like that on daily-short…though it can happen your trained to know how to deal with it…

Short daily is not gentler than in-centre. It’s exactly the same. Nocturnal is gentler because everything is running slower. In short daily or the longer daily some of you do, pretty much everything is set up the same as for a typical in-centre run. A person can experience a hypotensive crash too fast to do anything about it - especially if you have not been keeping an eye on blood pressure.
Pierre

By experience I disagree… :lol: …Nocturnal may give you a deep sleep and more gentler experience than Short-Daily…but certainly, short-daily still gives a more genlter dialysis compared to in-center…no doubt about…however, if you wanna go even more GENTLER like Pierre says then go Nocturnal route…

I’m still waiting for that DEEEEP sleep!

[quote=“beachy”]

I’m still waiting for that DEEEEP sleep![/quote]

What!! What the heck are yo u doing all night? :?

Sleeping lightly , trying to get warm, turning over carefuly, trying to get and stay comfortable, twiddling my thumbs, trying not to listen to Freni and water noises, listening to radio and realaxtion tapes, trying not to make myself miserable enough to take a sleeping tablet, waiting, getting a bit of sleep,waiting,… (just a night in the life of, it is better than it was, I’m not complaining) and what I like about it is it is all forgotten as soon as I am off at 5.30am til next time) when we go again…8)

Oh dear, I hope you get used to it… :cry: … I mean c’mon you need to have some deep sleeps and dream! …every night I get deep sleeps and geez, I see other people in my dreams, I can barely see their faces and am noty sure who they are…

Last month I was in deep sleep and in my sleep someone came knocking on my home front door…I got up and went to answer the door and there was a man and a woman…the man pointed to the window of the room where I dialyze…so I let them in leading me to the hallway and right ahead where the hallway ends they disappeared, finally, I snapped out of my deep dream and what the heck!!! :shock: …there was fire in the hallway in the fron of my bedroom door! I stood several seconds trying to believe its there or not! It was really fire!! Quickly I got up and jumped through the fire and went for a large pot with water and put it out!..that dang large candles my mother loves placing in the hallway! …I just realized I had a 6th sense… :roll:

Oh dear, I hope you get used to it… :cry: … I mean c’mon you need to have some deep sleeps and dream! …every night I get deep sleeps and geez, I see other people in my dreams, I can barely see their faces and am noty sure who they are…

Last month I was in deep sleep and in my sleep someone came knocking on my home front door…I got up and went to answer the door and there was a man and a woman…the man pointed to the window of the room where I dialyze…so I let them in leading me to the hallway and right ahead where the hallway ends they disappeared, finally, I snapped out of my deep dream and what the heck!!! :shock: …there was fire in the hallway in the fron of my bedroom door! I stood several seconds trying to believe its there or not! It was really fire!! Quickly I got up and jumped through the fire and went for a large pot with water and put it out!..that dang large candles my mother loves placing in the hallway! …I just realized I had a 6th sense… :roll:[/quote]

Heavens, Gus, that’s amazing! I hope nothing was damaged. You must be handy to have around the place! A friend told me today that even she had a dream about me on dialysis last night. I find on my nights off I dream I am still connected and haven’t moved around much so I may as well have been on! :lol:
Sweet dreams tonight mate! 8)