Setting up dads room....Any tips for us for APD?

We are currently setting up my dads room are there any tips for us? Anything you couldn’t live without or made it easier?

We are taking everything out and putting a hospital bed for him and then going to look for a table the right size for the machine.

I want to organize us. Is there anything else we should put on our list that the Dialysis center might forget or not know ?? I just want to have a good set up and easy access to everything. Organization is a good thing. :slight_smile:

Thank you!

I’ve recently started PD myself and found an awesome mobile computer desk to hold my machine. It has 3 tiers (not counting the keyboard tray). On the main desk area I keep my supplies handy, like tape and minicaps, etc. On the second level, where a computer monitor would go, is where my machine sits. To either side of the machine there is a raised platform where I guess you might put speakers or a printer or something. I put my bags there. Under the desk there’s a shelf where the CPU would go - I put my drain bags on. And the best part is, it’s on wheels! I’m so excited with my set-up, it kind of takes some of the suckiness out of being on dialysis (yeah, I know, BAD Karen - positive thoughts!). Anyway, I highly recommend it - ask at your local office supply store for a mobile computer desk/work station and see if it will work for you.

KarenT

If you have a digital camera, you’re welcome to post a photo of your set-up, Karen. Seeing it would help other folks understand better how cool it is and how well it works for you. :slight_smile:

I suspect that you think that your dad needs a hospital bed to do dialysis. In fact, most people on PD sleep in their own bed. Keeping one’s own bed helps them sleep more normally. From an emotional perspective, using a hospital bed can make someone feel sicker. One one of the goals should be to help your father live as normally as possible with as few changes.