Shoulder pain during second and third cycles?

Has anyone had a problem with shoulder pain during PD night cycling?
We have been told that it may be from air in the lines but since then we always make sure that the lines are OK. In fact, one night recently the Baxter cycler said there was air in the lines but, oddly, that was the night of no shoulder pain! Pain is like a toothache right on the point of the left shoulder, only. PD nurse says she has no idea … has anyone else had this sort of problem? This seems like something to be concerned about, no?

1 Like

My husband has not had this pain. Sorry we are of no help.

[QUOTE=babboo912;15960]Has anyone had a problem with shoulder pain during PD night cycling?
We have been told that it may be from air in the lines but since then we always make sure that the lines are OK. In fact, one night recently the Baxter cycler said there was air in the lines but, oddly, that was the night of no shoulder pain! Pain is like a toothache right on the point of the left shoulder, only. PD nurse says she has no idea … has anyone else had this sort of problem? This seems like something to be concerned about, no?[/QUOTE]
It does sound like a problem that is caused by air. If your husband’s PD nurse doesn’t know, you might try calling Baxter’s help number. They have a nurse line, and those folks know a LOT about PD. Your PD nurse should be able to give you that number.

i used to get shoulder pain when laughing or yawning really hard, but never during drains…has anyone else on pd experienced shoulder pain when laughing or yawning hard?

I also get shoulder pain during my 2-3 drain cycle. My PD nurse and MD thought it was related to the volume instilled. Their solution was to lower the volume. I still have some shoulder discomfort but not nearly as bad. My main problem now is abdominal cramping at the very end of each drain cycle, sometimes severe. MD and PD nurse does not have a solution for that yet.

Here’s a thread that refers to a drain pain–maybe there’s something in it that will help you figure out what’s going on, or at least what to ask about. http://forums.homedialysis.org/showthread.php?p=14165&highlight=drain+pain#post14165.

Otherwise, ask our Expert! Judith Bernardini is a long-time PD nurse, who has probably seen this problem. You can access her here: http://forums.homedialysis.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18

[QUOTE=babboo912;15960]Has anyone had a problem with shoulder pain during PD night cycling?
We have been told that it may be from air in the lines but since then we always make sure that the lines are OK. In fact, one night recently the Baxter cycler said there was air in the lines but, oddly, that was the night of no shoulder pain! Pain is like a toothache right on the point of the left shoulder, only. PD nurse says she has no idea … has anyone else had this sort of problem? This seems like something to be concerned about, no?[/QUOTE]

I have been doing PD for two months w/ great numbers, so it is working great. Only problem is horrific shoulder pain. My cath is placed in left upper quadrant . I used to get pain under my left rib cage and pain would simultaneously shoot up to my left shoulder. I thought air in patient line at first. My nurse told me that PD is painless; I say bull* * * *! I went back to my surgeon, he said the catheter was pressing against a nerve ending–the same nerve which connects to the shoulder. Extremely painful. Used to happen during drain cycles; now happens even during fills. Dr said threee options: live with it, have it relocated or do hemo. Since you posted this in 07, has your pain gotten better, worse or what did you do to eliminate the pain. Im getting tired of pain meds. want to continue PD & currently looking for another surgeon to get second opinion.

Pain in the shoulder may be due to referred pain of various origins. There are many examples of a pain originating in the knee and felt in the hip or vice versa. Pain under the diaphragm is well known to cause pain in the ipsilateral or same sided shoulder. Your physician should evaluate the cause to see if it is a form of referred pain. I would be hard pressed to understand a direct link to shoulder pain from PD without it being a referred pain, but an exam of the shoulder would also be of use as well. In addition, pain originating in the heart can also at times be referred to either shoulder. As a physician, I would want to exclude various conditions that could be causing this frequent symptom. In actuality, there are probably quite a few entities that could cause this that can only be elucidated by your medical team investigating for all.