Study: Hemodialysis patients treated in for-profit centers have higher hospitalization rate

http://www.nephrologynews.com/articles/109951-study-hemodialysis-patients-treated-in-for-profit-centers-have-higher-hospitalization-rate

This study reports data collected from 2005-2008 and the authors report that there are baseline differences in patients treated in for profit and nonprofit clinics (some better and others worse in one vs. the other). I am not trying to make excuses for clinics that have high hospitalization rates, but it would be worse if patients who heart failure, volume overload, and/or vascular access complications weren’t hospitalized when they needed to be because in today’s pay-for-performance climate clinics were trying to make their data look better than it is. Just something to think about…

ND:

IU treats dialysis patients that our buddies would not touch. If you need the hospital at IU, they will call the hospital immediately. In addition, IU’s numbers are outstanding and they treat the very, very sick patients. In addition, I want you to list that IU Home Dialysis offers Nocturnal Dialysis and if you can go to IU, you will be very glad that you did, just like me. :slight_smile:

Home Dialysis Central relies on clinics that offer home dialysis to add/edit their listings on the Find a Clinic database. The database lists Clarian IU Hospital but doesn’t say this facility offers nocturnal home dialysis. Please ask your home training nurse to check out Find a Clinic and add/edit the listing for your facility. This will help patients find your clinic when they’re looking for their preferred treatment.