Things to do on nocturnal when one can't sleep

I have been thinking about this- what if you’re doing nocturnal and can’t sleep for some reason. Like tonight I was about to fall asleep and then I felt overheated. It woke me up and I thought, what if I was hooked up to the machine and could not get up to go adjust the thermostat. Do you ever feel claustrophopic? My pattern with regular in-center hemo has been that sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and kill an hour or two on the computer or do something as it takes a bit to get back to sleep. Is it hard not to be able to get up and move around a bit or do you just get used to it?

Hit the nail on the head there Jane!
As a 50 year old female going through the old hot and cold flushes this is a BIG problem at times. I have just been through my first summer on Nocturnal and became very adept at hurling the blanket and sheets off, throwing clothes off one handed and then the next minute shivering and trying desperately to find everything again without waking hubby in the wee small hours. Lying awake without being able to get up and walk around is no fun. Now winter has come I am doing more shivering than sweating and get cold even under doona and warm jamies (and we live in the tropics)!
As for something to do at these times i put my walkman on and listen to music, radio, relaxation CDs or a book reading and just pray that sleep will come again.
:?

I definitely was not comfortable with not being able to get up at first, even if it was just to be able to look out the window down onto the street. One night, I completely missed a major fire in the next block which totally destroyed an old apartment block overnight. Never even heard the fire engines over the noise from my machine. Even if you’re not alone, other people may not be too happy if you have to wake them. The worse was forgetting to lay out a glass of water. I could be certain that I would need it sometime during the night if I forgot it before I got on. Then there are some lights I need to have on while I’m putting myself on, but which I can’t reach after I’m on. It was very frustrating to have lights on all night, if for example, my wife fell asleep on the couch in the living room. I’m asthmatic, and I could be guaranteed to need my rescue puffer if I forgot to put it within reach. There definitely was a feeling of helplessness there the first few months. You just gradually get used to it though. Now, a year later, I don’t even think of it. It’s become so routine and natural to be doing this.

TV… Cable TV… Movies channels…Cable on demand… absolutely indispensable no matter what the cost - for those nights when you’re awake in the middle of the night and you can’t sleep. Reading requires too much effort when I’m on dialysis :slight_smile:

… not that this happens to me very often. If some night I can’t sleep, it’s not because I’m on dialysis.

Pierre

Get online and play competitive tournament mulitplayer games against real opponents! 8)

Hi y’all,
Pierre wrote:

Then there are some lights I need to have on while I’m putting myself on, but which I can’t reach after I’m on. It was very frustrating to have lights on all night, if for example, my wife fell asleep on the couch in the living room.

You weren’t in the doghouse, were you? :wink:

Actually, I do have a tip as far as the lights are concerned, since there’s a big skylight practically right over my bed (my fault, I wanted it there), and the string for the shade is so high that only my husband can reach it. If you get one of the nice, big puffy eye shades (mine has lavendar in it), it completely blocks out any unwanted light. Really, it can be a glorious, sunny day, but it’s dark until that thing comes off. So, it doesn’t matter if someone leaves the lights on. It’s very comfy to wear, too.

i have a playstation and xbox i play in the room makes the time go by fast

Heck, video games do really kill time fast! Btw, more more seniors are playing video games now… :stuck_out_tongue: I know a lady or may I say senior by the name of “CrazyLady” who coordinates weekly online tournaments…basicly she schedules multiplayer events for her members. She even has her own messageboard…her members are of older generation mature online players… http://excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=7853

Eye shades, huh…never heard of it…where do you buy it?

Eye shades, huh…never heard of it…where do you buy it?

The one I like, I bought for $11.99 + $5/shipping at RelaxDepot.com is for sale

My wife turns the veranda lights and my overhead light off, on the way to bed (whenever that is - sometimes he’ll fall asleep on the couch until after midnight! :smiley: ). But I have one of those classic brassstand/green shade office lights, sat on top of Arthur, with the flip switch hanging right next to the pump case, so I can turn it off & on whenever. I’ve got a small flat-screen telly & a DVD unit. But lucky old me - I seem able to fall asleep by midnight & get up to 6 hours (in 2 or 3 goes). Usually not enough, but since I only work 3days, I can get a catch-up sleep on post-dx days.
For those who can’t sleep, surely you can use a laptop one-handed?
I’m still in a recliner, but I put the doona over the arm & am well-taped enough that I think I’d be O.K. in bed…if I was I’d definitely have a laptop, bedside, for the web or for DVDs.

LOL, no I wasn’t in the doghouse. My wife often asleep early on the couch while I’m getting ready and only comes to bed later. I’m often not on treatment until 11 PM, sometimes later.

Pierre