Thoughts

It is amazing to me how an industry such as dialysis and the transplant industry are allowed to thrive, while they engage in total and complete hypocrisy. It is amazing that billions of dollars paid in the name of people, are ignored and treated like trash, by people who are compensated in the millions of dollars, each and every year. Notice that the individuals who are opposed to donor compensation are third parties making subjective decisions about the lives of other people. In addition, notice that they are not on dialysis. Yes, we cannot work for free, but, we are going to insist that the individual with the most to lose, work for free. No, we cannot live without our millions in profits at 4,000 percent. Yet, we consider that you are a criminal if you pay the donor one penny for this transplant. Oh and by the way, the donor and transplant are the major source of our retirement incomes. We cannot work for free, because it is important that we can go to our summer beach house for the 4th of July Fireworks. It is important that we continue to be worth millions, while you barely survive on a Social Security check in a wheelchair. We need that money because we are under so much stress, not even close to the stress that you are under, but, our needs are more important than your suffering, you see.

We are not sure why anyone would turn down a job in our fields. You get to make tons of money, torture your customer base, you know, that is why we lock the doors. Another great fringe benefit is that you can treat your customer base like criminals and blame them for their condition. The real secret is that we do not know what causes diabetes, we are too intellectually lazy to find the cause, and it is much more enjoyable to blame the customer for his plight in life. We do it this way so we will not have a guilty conscience in how we treat our clients.

Love,

Your Hypocritical Friends In the Kidney Fields.

P.S. Well, we need you to be down there, so we can be up here, we really need to think well of ourselves, at your expense.

I think the barriers to organ donation (living donor or deceased donor) may be more complex than many think. I found a survey conducted in 2012 by the Health Resources & Services Administration that reports on people’s attitudes about organ donation. There were questions about attitudes about living donation and deceased donation and it included questions on how incentives would affect donation of own or a family member’s organs. I haven’t read it word-for-word, but skimmed it and found what I read interesting, especially the disconnect between willingness to donate which is higher based on the relationship with the potential recipient and how few people taking the survey had actually donated an organ (0.4%). It looks like in theory incentives might make 25.4% of survey respondents more likely to donate, but when push comes to shove, will they even sign a donor card and tell their families their wishes to be an organ donor on death, much less a living donor? I don’t think you can put the entire blame on the renal community. We might be able to blame our attitude toward free will and lack of a policy for presumed consent which is also addressed in this report. Looks like nearly 72% would NOT opt-out if we had presumed consent. Think how many more organs would be available for donation using that approach.
http://organdonor.gov/dtcp/nationalsurveyorgandonation.pdf

[QUOTE=Beth Witten MSW ACSW;23128]I think the barriers to organ donation (living donor or deceased donor) may be more complex than many think. I found a survey conducted in 2012 by the Health Resources & Services Administration that reports on people’s attitudes about organ donation. There were questions about attitudes about living donation and deceased donation and it included questions on how incentives would affect donation of own or a family member’s organs. I haven’t read it word-for-word, but skimmed it and found what I read interesting, especially the disconnect between willingness to donate which is higher based on the relationship with the potential recipient and how few people taking the survey had actually donated an organ (0.4%). It looks like in theory incentives might make 25.4% of survey respondents more likely to donate, but when push comes to shove, will they even sign a donor card and tell their families their wishes to be an organ donor on death, much less a living donor? I don’t think you can put the entire blame on the renal community. We might be able to blame our attitude toward free will and lack of a policy for presumed consent which is also addressed in this report. Looks like nearly 72% would NOT opt-out if we had presumed consent. Think how many more organs would be available for donation using that approach.
http://organdonor.gov/dtcp/nationalsurveyorgandonation.pdf[/QUOTE]

ND:

It does not take a brain surgeon to realize that if almost 100,000 on a waiting list needing a kidney, that their policy is not working.