Training length

How is it decided how long home hemo training will last? I realize there are different model machines and some require longer training periods than others. But who decides how long the training is and what is it based on?

That’s all dependent on how fast the patient can pickup and learn, they’ll go longer than the average learner…all to do good for the patient.

We have heard so many answers on how long patients are trained for home txs. There has to be some safeguards on this. What if a unit wants to train the patient fast and send them on their way to save costs. This is a very potentially dangerous situation is it not?

Many say the NxStage is much easier to be trained on than the conventional models. But shouldn’t there be a procedure for testing the patient to ensure that he if fully ready to go it alone, eventhough he may have family support?

I mean a dialysis machine operated incorrectly, even one error, could result in a serious accident or even death. Did your units test you to see if you could perform the entire tx from beginning to end to be sure you knew what you were doing?

Heather, home dialysis programs don’t just set a fixed number of days and say “you’re done, go home.” There are tests, and “return demonstrations” where you show the training nurse that you know how to do something. Some will do things like not plug in the machine, or allow folks to make mistakes that they then need to troubleshoot and correct. Nobody goes home without the training nurse being certain that they know what they are doing, know what to do if something goes wrong, and know who to call. That’s exactly the reason that you’re finding that training times are different–folks take various periods of time to graduate from these programs, and the training is individualized to meet each person’s needs.

Sorry to tell you, Dori, but what you have said is not always the case. We know a patient who told us he had x number of days to complete training and that was it. He was not asked if he was ready to go home- just told we have x number of days to get it done. Yes, things were gone over and was given #'s to call- that part is good. But he said he was not asked are you fully ready and he was not tested to see if he could perform the entire tx He said there were more patients lined up to be trained. So, whereas I would hope most programs give the patient all the time necessary to master the skills involved, that may not always be the case.

Hi Heather. Clinics have to pass a special Medicare certification to offer home training. If a program is doing what you described, it should be reported–this is not approved practice–by anyone.

Thank you, Dori, I did not think it was appropriate.

That’s interersting to see how some clinics are crude on their policies…at my clinic they had one patient training over a month, on a NxStage!! :stuck_out_tongue: …I only took 17 days to train…

The Medicare Benefits Policy Manual states that most people can learn how to do home hemodialysis in two months training 5 hours a day 3 days a week. The Medicare Claims Processing manual states that Medicare will pay for up to 3 months of training for hemodialysis done 3 times a week.

BTW, Medicare only pays for 15 training days for CAPD and CCPD.

Medicare will pay for retraining in some circumstances, such as the patient changes treatment types, equipment, clinics, partners, or as a health setback that requires retraining.

We were told it generally takes 12 weeks, but its individual. Your not pushed out the door if your not ready at 12 weeks. It took me just under 8 weeks to learn. I was there for longer though as I had to have surgery right when I planned on going home.

They took one look at me (& my figs.) and didn’t bother trying to train me right from the start. My brain was so f.o.s. that it would’ve been a waste of time :smiley: …anyway, it meant my ‘12 weeks’ went from July 26 until Nov 17 (first day home with machine)…er…16 weeks +/-.
What everyone else took for ‘senile od fool’ was, in fact, just toxins/ renal failure effects. Honest! :smiley: :roll: :wink:

Naw, that sounds like you joker there mate! Hahaha… :lol:

I was trained on NxStage in 14 days. Then I was home, BUT I already knew how to stick myself. I honestly felt I was ready after the 10th day but they would NOT let me go.

I’m suppose to be in and out in four days. We’ll see.