Travelling Abroad

I am just beginning the process of starting PD - my surgery and training are just being scheduled now. But I already have several lengthy trips to Europe booked (and paid for!) for later in the year. My nephrologist assures me that it would be possible to get PD supplies delivered to where I’ll be staying in Europe. I’m wondering if it’s going to be as easy as he says, and does anyone have any experience with this or advice they could share? Thanks!

I’d suggest you talk with your home training nurse at your clinic and the company that supplies your PD supplies at home. That company can give provide the most reliable information about what they can to do and what they need to do it. I wouldn’t be surprised if the company charged you a fee to ship solution and other supplies to Europe. For short trips, patients often take supplies with them in a separate suitcase or box labeled medical supplies. Airlines can’t charge a fee for medical supplies that are shipped separate from clothing. See https://www.homedialysis.org/life-at-home/articles/flying-with-a-pd-cycler-or-nxstage-system-one.