Trying to decide on converting to CCPD

from CAPD…my clinic makes you do CAPD for at least a month before they’ll even let you try using a cycler at night. I’m getting close to the “switch” point and I have some questions for those of you who have done both about CCPD.

1 - do you tend to put on water during the day when you use a cycler at night?
2 - how do you feel during the day…does it start out good and then you feel worse as the day goes on or do you feel pretty stable most of the time?
3 - what were the things you liked best or least about CAPD
4 - what are the things you like best or least about CCPD

I know it’s a lot of questions, but I’d rather hear from people who’ve been there than from clinic personnel whose intentions are good, but they haven’t really experienced it themselves.

thanks.

I love the CCPD vs. the CAPD. Learning the machine took a little difficulty as I am older and less computer savvy than younger generation. But the help from renal center nurse and/or Baxter is great and I get any question solved immediately. If I get 'er done, anyone can. I love the feeling of being dry all day, carrying no fluid in daytime, feel good all day, love the freedom the machine offers, and just watch fluid intake in day, though I never really feel “bloated”. I was on the CAPD also for 6 weeks, then converted to the machine and I love it. Just is so easy to cycle at night and machine is quiet. It is the way to go is my belief. I would hate to have to go back to CAPD. Best of luck to you.

[QUOTE=senderob;12959]
1 - do you tend to put on water during the day when you use a cycler at night?
2 - how do you feel during the day…does it start out good and then you feel worse as the day goes on or do you feel pretty stable most of the time?
3 - what were the things you liked best or least about CAPD
4 - what are the things you like best or least about CCPD[/QUOTE]

1. As long as you follow your fluid restrictions, then you shouldn’t put on much during the day. Some people are not dry during the day when on the cycler, so they do a mid-day exchange on the machine. Do you know what your program will be? Like, dry during the day or wet during the day?
  2. I feel fine all day long. I don’t know how you will feel bc everyone reacts differently to different treatments.
  3. I didn’t mind CAPD bc I HAD to do it, but I like the cycler MUCH better! There’s much more freedom, and I, personally, don’t absorb as much fluid as I did on CAPD.
  4. I think I pretty much answered that one above. More freedom and less absorbing. I used to use all 2.5% and 4.25% when I was on CAPD bc I absorbed so quickly. On the cycler, I use 6L of 1.5% every night. I feel much better on the cycler.