Tweezers

To clean tweezers for buttonole scab removal do you just wipe with alcohol pad?

What are other methods are used for scab removal?

I gently dig around the scab with 19g needle, lift it with some surgical steel tweezers sterilised in Chlorhexidene disinfectant. New needle and resterilised tweezers for other hole. Wipe any blood clean with gauze. Nice, clean scabs on alternate nights, on consecutive nights no real scab so tends to be a bit messier . 8)

For me the same buttonhole needle to lift out the scab…then slide in the buttonhole…

beechy wrote:

I gently dig around the scab with 19g needle, lift it with some surgical steel tweezers sterilised in Chlorhexidene disinfectant. New needle and resterilised tweezers for other hole. Wipe any blood clean with gauze. Nice, clean scabs on alternate nights, on consecutive nights no real scab so tends to be a bit messier .

Is digging around the scab with the 19g needle the way you were trained or an idea you came up with? Have never seen a 19g needle in-center-only 16g-14g. What do you apply Chlorhexidrene with? Do you rub the disinfectant over the entire tweezer or just the tips?

Is it just as necessary to get the smaller scabs off?

Do you find this process irritating at all?

Will any tweezer do or is a certain type used?

You can get small surgical tweezers at any good chemists/pharmacists, or I guess as you say, drugstores. Which I assume is what is reverred to?

But surely for buttonholing the unit provides appropriate tweezers?

19g needles are just the ones we had on hand for getting the saline into the syringes. They work well, but I am sure other sizes would too.
My Unit didn’t provide surgical tweezers, I had to buy my own. We have plastic ones in the dressing packs but they are too blunt.

Did you know that soaking them with some alcohol prior to setting up your machine helps the scabs soften and loosen up making it so easy to remove them during cannulation process…