Type two diabetic, always hungry

Hi I’m a type two diabetic, over the age of 65+ and have been hungry for the last 16 years. I set down and eat 4 main meals a day watching ever thing for sugar etc and two hours later I’m back to the kitchen looking for something else to eat. I eat 60% fruits and vetables. What if anything can I done to decrease these hunger pains and start lousing weight again. When I was 55 I weight 288 than through dieting I got down to 218 but was always hunger. Now I’m at 238 and need to get down to 205, I’m 6’2". I walk about 8 to 12 miles per week and due a lot of yard work etc. got any ideas?

Hello and thank you for your question. I typically do nutrition counseling after completing a full nutrition assessment. Dietary recommendations are best when they are customized to your needs. I will give some general recommendations. However, you may want to meet in person with a dietitian who can provide you with a personalized plan.

It appears like you are struggling to control your weight. You have had success at decreasing your weight from 288 to your current weight of 238. It sounds like your large appetite and hunger pains make it difficult to control the amount of food you eat and reach your weight goal. You are doing a good job including a lot of fruits and vegetables. Fruit, vegetables, grains, and beans are good sources of fiber. Eating enough fiber at meals can help to control your appetite. A balanced diet includes carbohydrates (bread, rice, pasta, fruit, beans), protein (meat, fish, eggs), fat (salad dressing, oil, margarine), and nonstarchy vegetables. Individuals with diabetes usually do best eating approximately every four hours. Three meals and one to two snacks is a common eating pattern. I applaud you for walking 8 to 12 miles per week. Exercise is an important part of weight management.

You may want to keep a log of your food intake and exercise. You can review this log with your dietitian and/or physician to receive feedback on your diet. Good luck and keep up with the walking. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

LeeAnn Smtih, MPH, RD