Types of Buttonhole Needles on the market in US

Hello Stuart -
First of all, I just want to say how incredibly appreciative my husband and I are for your guidance on re-cannulating his rested fistula for the first time after a major infiltration. You helped make the whole process so easy and the touch cannulation technique…WOW!

I have been trying to research on google about different buttonhole needles and am having a hard time finding useful information. Could you perhaps discuss the different types of buttonhole needles that there are available? The ones I have found so far are medisystems, JMS, and Nipro. Are there other brands that I am missing?

Can you discuss the distinguishing characteristics of each type? Not asking for a recommendation, just what sizes and types of bevels or buckeyes are available and if there are features to notice about them?

Also, I think you mentioned that 3/5 are not available in buttonhole needles, only in sharps? If so, what would the pros and cons be comparing between cannulating with 3/5 sharps using rope ladder, and cannulating with 1 inch buttonhole needles? If you had to choose, is buttonhole technique with 1 inch buttonhole needles preferable to rope ladder with 3/5 sharps?

I can’t tell you how important the information that you have shared on this site is for home dialysis patients! Even after 9 years of home hemo, I have learned so much in the past week just exploring this site and your various videos and posts. I wish I had found this site YEARS ago. My husband’s and my immense appreciation to those who manage and provide this support for home patients. It is a true blessing.

Martha

thank you that is why i,m here to help, thanks for the phone call.
1.There basic two types of buttonhole needles, Med-systems which i don’t recommended because they are to blunt and have cause lots of problems. JMS and Nipro are the two that i recommend they are sharp and get the job done
2.The 3/5 cannualtion needle should be used on all lower arm avf and grafts,> It diminishes the infiltration rate by 90% and help with maintaining the AVF and slowing the aneurysm. If you look at the atrial and Venus pressure at 400 flow the pressure just for a example would run at 400 blood flow 200 art pressure and 200 Venus pressure. With the same blood flow with the 3/5 needle you would be between 100 and 120 less pressure less aneurysms.