Urine

hi again
i have a question. what happens when you can no longer urinate?
and your bladder is full. my son had a spell last week, and ended up in the e.r.,
the dr. had to cather him to empty his bladder.
do you stop making urine?
my son does pd 4 times a day.
and do people ever have bladder transplants?
thanks thepaintedhorse.

what we call urine is actually nitrogeneous toxic waste and excess fluid filtered by our kidneys .when u have renal failure u make less urine because kidneys cant filter properly.
u start dialysis when u have approx 10-15% remaining kidney function .
this RRF{residual renal function} is conserved for more days in peritoneal dialysis and u tend to lose RRF more quickly in hemodialysis.
when u have lost 100% renal function u cant make any urine because ur kidneys cant filter blood completely.

[QUOTE=thepaintedhorse;11441]hi again
i have a question. what happens when you can no longer urinate?
and your bladder is full. my son had a spell last week, and ended up in the e.r.,
the dr. had to cather him to empty his bladder.
do you stop making urine?
my son does pd 4 times a day.
and do people ever have bladder transplants?
thanks thepaintedhorse.[/QUOTE]

If this continues to happen, chances are, they will teach your son how to catheterize himself on occasion to be sure he doesn’t rupture his bladder. If so, he’ll have to be very careful to use good technique to avoid infection.

In the long term, he may stop making urine as his residual renal function drops, as Shivashanker pointed out.

Why did they tell you he was unable to void? Does he have an infection? My wife still voids a few ounces (2 to 4) about once a day. When she stops voiding or if it burns when she voids, we flush her bladder with an antibiotic (gentamicin). Talk to a urologist.

The reason I am asking is, most ER doctors (may not be fair to say most, but that has been my experience) don’t think about the fact that oral or IV antibiotics aren’t going to get rid of a urinary tract infection if you aren’t producing urine. The antibiotic has to enter the bladder through the urine to be effective. No urine, no antibiotic inside the bladder.

How old is your son? Was this the first time he had this problem? How long had it been since he urinated? Over time many people on dialysis stop urinating. Some continue to urinate. If your son had a full bladder when they catheterized him, did anyone suggest doing tests to check his urinary tract to see if his bladder is working like it should and if his urethra (the tube that takes urine from the bladder out of the body) is fully open or if it is too tight for urine to flow through it. A urologist should be able to diagnose and suggest treatment options.

hi again
thanks for the information.
my son is 31 and he was borned with kiddney faller.
and his bladder was the size of a old mans’ bladder.
the urethra vaul was blocked.when he was 2 years’ old
he had his right kiddney removed.
so when he was unable to urineate.
the dr. catheterized him and he filled up the bag that
holds the urine.
the dr said the bladder is warn out.
he can still make some urine but not much.
and he dose the pd at home. and he get sick easy.
he don’t eat much. always feel sick.
well thanks again the painted horse.