Use of generators during power outage

Living in S FL we are subject to power outages during hurricane season. Three manuals a day would be required if there is no power. That’s a lot of work! Has anyone used a small generator for these emergencies?

You could do 2 extraneal a day, stay wet for 24
Hours(fill with one icodextran, drain into next icodextran) and it’s equal to 3 exchanges and not have to worry. Cheaper than a generator for a cycler and better for you peritoneal membrane since it’s dextrose free.

My husband does 4 manual exchanges during the day and 1 7.5 all night.
How can we use more 7.5 to give using dextrose a break.
He doesn’t have fluid build up.
I worry the dextrose is taking away his ability to urinate more.
Any advice would be appreciated.

How are your husband’s labs? If he’s doing manual exchanges during the day and his doctor wants him to use the cycler overnight is his peritoneal membrane having a hard time removing enough wastes? He should talk with his doctor about whether PD is working well enough for him or if he needs to consider switching to hemodialysis (HD).

Although many patients do HD in a clinic 3x/week, patients can be trained to HD at home. Some do home HD for a somewhat shorter time more often while others do it overnight while they sleep every other day or more often. How long and how often they do home HD depends on their dialysis prescription. Many home HD patients say they feel better physically and like being able to arrange dialysis around their schedule. Home Dialysis Central and Medicare have databases to help people find a clinic that offers the treatment they want. With either database you insert your zip code and how far you’d be willing to travel to a clinic for training and clinic visits. The Medicare database only asks about home dialysis training for HD. The Home Dialysis Central database lists several home HD options. Home Dialysis Central’s database is at Clinic Search - Find a Clinic - Home Dialysis Central. Medicare’s database is at Medicare.gov.

His labs are great! His main problem has been being awakened for the first three drains during the night. His nurse recently upped his time and amount of solution and it’s like a miracle…he needs to sit up only for the last drain.,he’s been told that at 91 his peritoneal membranes inhibit the draining process. My concern is simply that we live in Miami and hurricane season is scary. I hate doing manuals so I’m looking for hotels with generators throughout. Just got a huge list to check out.
I’ll keep others posted if I find some viable prospects.

If you just want to run your dialysis machine you can use a small generator for around three to four hundred dollars. However I would recommend an inverter generator as opposed to just a generator, the inverter generator has a more even flow of voltage that is better than a standard generator for electronics with circuit boards… If you are just going to use it for your dialysis machine you should be able to use one that only puts out seven hundred to one thousand watts.
At one thousand watts you should be able to run a television and or a fan with no problems, if you wanted to use more than that, you would need one that puts out more wattage. If you do decide to buy one talk to the sales person let them know how many and what items you would like to run during a power outage and they can recommend the correct size.

Thanks, Rob, appreciate your reply. Still checking things out, hoping a storm doesn’t come bursting un here next month. Your info was great.