Used Dialysis Machines

I’ve run into an interesting opportunity to sell 10 used COBE Centrysystem 3 Dialysis Machines. They’ve been well maintained and they’re in excellent condition. I’ve been told it is recommended to sell them abroad. I would love to get some feedback from other experienced in the field as to where I could sell these machines and how to calculate they’re worth?

Hi unregistered. You might try one of the companies that routinely sells machines abroad–they have to get them from somewhere. Look on this page under “Used and reconditioned machines for the US and around the world” http://www.homedialysis.org/resources/links.php.

I have thought about opening a business by customizing a bus to be converted into a mobile dialysis center for the home bound but I can’t imagine the paperwork and the risks involved. Anyone have any input on that thought?

If someone is truly homebound, he/she would have a hard time from home out to a bus. Besides meeting Medicare regulations, including testing for water quality might be interesting if you drive the bus from place to place which would likely affect water quality. I have heard of a transportable dialysis “facility” in emergency situations. The best people to talk with about this would be your state survey agency.

I’d say if you want to look at helping homebound patients, promote PD or HHD. For those patients who do not have family members or friends to dialyze them, offering staff-assisted home dialysis would be a great help. However, Medicare does not pay for a helper (nurse or technician) and the Method II reimbursement (a supply company provides all equipment and supplies) pays the same for a patient on HHD as for one on CAPD which requires no machine. The only treatment that is reimbursed at a higher rate under Method II is CCPD. Method I home patients’ care is reimbursed at the same amount per week as in-center patients’ care is reimbursed per week. You can find the reimbursement amounts in our information on Medicare reimbursement for professionals from the home page.

I would try the offshore angle. For some reason C3’s used are not selling well.
ebay can’t give them away for $99 each. I think it may have something to do with the cartridge system of blood lines. It may be hard to find a secondary seller with cheaper
supplies.

JM, CNN

In case anyone reads this thread. As of January 1, 2011, there is no longer the option for Method II reimbursement from Medicare. Medicare only reimburses dialysis facilities for home dialysis equipment, supplies, and support from the home training nurse, dietitian, and social worker as well as certain labs and ESRD-related drugs under the ESRD prospective payment system (PPS).

where are you located?