[VIDEOS] Home Dialysis Videos

Hey guys, you know its been hard to get a decent video camcorder, they’re expensive!! :x

Anyhow I been doing research on economical tapeless video camcorders and came across these brand models…I found that Aiptek was the most affordable and yet had more features like record voice, play M-P-3, and webcam capable! Anyway, I decided to give this camcorder a test drive and did some video editing afterwards…the old film look is an effect. You can see an un-edited test version taken place outside at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzcp9gVyYsk

• Sanyo Xacti VPC-HD1
  • JVC Everio GZMC100
  • Fisher FVDC1
  • Panasonic SV-AV100
  • Vivitar DVR-510
  • Aiptek PVR *******

Anyway, here’s my edited version with NxStage…

Hi guys, I am back again! This time with another home made video on my very own buttonhole cannulation…be sure to have sound on…

Enjoy! :roll:

Gus …Great job what a service you provide when you do this stuff, Takes the fear out of it …Thanks

Great work Gus! Seems like things are the same the world over only you “drive” a Porsche and we have Mercs. I wish(;
Only thing I do differently is I pull the blood right back into the syringe before flushing lines with saline.
LOVE the vid with the doggies, what expressive little faces they have. If I had Nelson on my lap I would be through the floor!
Cheers

Nice video Gus. Someone needs to put together an off video.

An off video is on my list of things to do - but it is a very long list.

Thanks for the comments all, I think these kinda videos and others will help take the fear out of some people wanting to do home dialysis. It will help spread the word about home dialysis further and even educate people on understanding what it is like. Nothing else can beat what media/internet has to offer.

I hope to see other home patients follow the trend on sharing their home videos about home dialysis. It don’t really have to be exepensive to make a video…in my example, the camcorder I used was a tapeless camcorder under $150US dollars!!

Gus,
Really love the vids!
I usually do short video’s on my digi cam, it’s a Nikon 4500, rather old now but it does short vids quite suitable for the web. AND takes fantastic photos, The only proplem I have is getting the vids webformated so that they load. No dialysis vids as yet. I’m toying with a vid cam, but gonna shop around a bit. I find Steve’s Digicams website very handy, as well as obtaining a few magizines with reviews.
You’ve possibly seen some of my photos before at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cybercast/
Unless you are going to produce a high quality video, I ask myself, is it worth it. although I’m toying with the idea for Christmas :slight_smile:
My nephew & his friends have just produced a Skateboarding DVD, of which I’ve won a copy! Really looking forward to viewing it!
All good fun :smiley:

Great vid!

Question…

Why do some hospitals have you use Betidine and others have you use Chlorhexidine and others have you use Amuchina?

Thanks for watching! As for your question, I have no idea…perhaps a matter of prefference maybe? Perhaps a matter of cost maybe?

Here’s the link to the National Kidney Foundation’s K/DOQI Guideline on vascular access:
http://www.kidney.org/professionals/kdoqi/guidelines_updates/doqiupva_iii.html#TableIII8

Table III-8. Skin Preparation Technique for Permanent AV Accesses
[i]1. Locate and palpate the needle cannulation sites prior to skin preparation.
2. Wash access site using an antibacterial soap or scrub (eg, 2% chlorhexidine) and water.
3. Cleanse the skin by applying 70% alcohol and/or 10% povidone iodine using a circular rubbing motion.

Notes:

• Alcohol has a short bacteriostatic action time and should be applied in a rubbing motion for 1 minute immediately prior to needle cannulation.
  • Povidone iodine needs to be applied for 2 to 3 minutes for its full bacteriostatic action to take effect and must be allowed to dry prior to needle cannulation.
  • Clean gloves should be worn by the dialysis staff for cannulation. Gloves should be changed if contaminated at any time during the cannulation procedure.
  • New, clean gloves should be worn by the dialysis staff for each patient.[/i]

You might want to ask your dialysis nurse what are the uses and advantages/disadvantages of each.