Vitamin loss

hi LeeAnn,
can you tell me percentage wise how much of the vitamin and mineral content of food you lose in a SD 3 hour session of dialysis, and also a nocturnal 7 hour session?
Can you take supplements on daily dialysis without causing toxicity?
Also what about fish oil supplements and omega 3,6,9 supplements with regards to phosphate and K+ levels?
Thanks for your time,
Regards,
Sinead

Hi Sinead,

Thank you for your post. There are not many studies available on the nutrient loss on hemodialysis depending on time of treatment. There are a few studies looking at this subject in patients on peritoneal dialysis, however the dialysis modality is too different to compare with hemodialysis. I will ask the nephrologists that I work with if they have seen any other studies and I will get back to you on this if I learn anything. If you are taking a renal vitamin you should not be concerned with toxicity if taking it daily. These vitamins are made specifically for individuals with kidney disease. Finally, could you please clarify your question about omega- 3, 6, and 9 supplements with regards to phosphorus and potassium. Are you interested to know if these supplements may increase your blood levels of phosphorus and potassium?

Sincerely,

LeeAnn Smith Weintraub, MPH, RD

Where would be the most common place to purchase renal vitamins and how important is it to take renal vitamins prior to beginning dialysis?

Hi Ad am,

Thank you for your message. There are many different ways to get renal vitamins. It depends if you are purchasing a prescription or over-the-counter renal vitamin. If you have a prescription from your physician then you will need to get your vitamin from a pharmacy, which is a good option and probably the most common way to purchase them. If you don’t have a prescription or if you would like an over-the-counter (OTC) vitamin, there are companies that you can purchase from directly. My patients have had a good experience with RenalTab https://www.secureorderform.com/renalab.net/. Their vitamin Renaltab II is smaller in size and easier to swallow. You can order online or call them directly and order over the phone. While there may be a small difference in levels of certain vitamins when comparing prescription and OTC renal vitamins, I believe that the difference is typically negligible. It is important for people on dialysis to take a renal vitamin to replace the vitamins they may be losing during treatment, however it is often recommended to start a renal vitamin prior to starting dialysis, especially for those who are already following dietary restrictions.

Sincerely,

LeeAnn Smith Weintraub, MPH, RD

Thanks, I tried to ask you about which dietary restrictions you might recommend via the thread I posted regarding CQ10 but so far I have received no replies. I had assumed there is some literature available regarding information for a basic renal diet.

[QUOTE=LeeAnnDietitian;22890]Hi Ad am,

Thank you for your message. There are many different ways to get renal vitamins. It depends if you are purchasing a prescription or over-the-counter renal vitamin. If you have a prescription from your physician then you will need to get your vitamin from a pharmacy, which is a good option and probably the most common way to purchase them. If you don’t have a prescription or if you would like an over-the-counter (OTC) vitamin, there are companies that you can purchase from directly. My patients have had a good experience with RenalTab https://www.secureorderform.com/renalab.net/. Their vitamin Renaltab II is smaller in size and easier to swallow. You can order online or call them directly and order over the phone. While there may be a small difference in levels of certain vitamins when comparing prescription and OTC renal vitamins, I believe that the difference is typically negligible. It is important for people on dialysis to take a renal vitamin to replace the vitamins they may be losing during treatment, however it is often recommended to start a renal vitamin prior to starting dialysis, especially for those who are already following dietary restrictions.

Sincerely,

LeeAnn Smith Weintraub, MPH, RD[/QUOTE]