Whats the normal life expectancy of a dialysis patient

Thank you … I am 77… I hope all is well with your Dad.

‘exhaustion’, yes! Have kind of readjusted myself around it. Before i was put on IHD, i would work 10-12 hours (even 16 some times). Now, that’s reduced to a max. 6hrs (4-5 hrs/day average). Now, when i’m exhausted, i’m done. But, by God’s Grace, after i’ve taken the rest i need, i’m up & at it again!

Have gone past a 10 yr ‘grace’-period undergoing Hemodialysis at four different centres; abandoning myself & the situation into Hands that have asked that i simply ‘trust in Him’. Have seen ‘faithful Providence’ all these years when i was out of options to provide for the huge related expenses. Now, whether its the time on this side or that which awaits in the next, i know which Way i got to keep walking…

I hope that i be found ‘preparing’…
I hope that i be found growing in ‘trust’
I hope by then, to have grown humble & loving…
I hope that there will be at least little differences that i might’ve made to at least a few lives…
I hope that at least a few lives would remember at least a few things & b able to thank the One that’s placed me here for the time.

But, i really hope most that i be found growing in ‘trust’
I hope by then, to have grown humble & loving…

Gus
You are amazing! Whenever I read posts by yourself, Bill or Pierre I feel this old world of ours isn’t so big and bad after all!
Even though I live on the other side of the world it is great to know people support each other and give out such strength.
Cheers :smiley:
perawatankulitkinclong

Please do tell me if the PD is worth doing in elderly people? If you have any experience… I am the starter and can’t figure out which form of the dialysis to choose… It is kind of dilemma for me… Thank you in advance :sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart:

In the last report of data on how many patients are on different type of dialysis, almost 17% of the patients on peritoneal dialysis are over 75. A terrific tool that may help you choose how to treat kidney failure is the decision aid called My Kidney Life Plan that was developed by Medical Education Institute that administers this message board. it asks you to choose a few things you care most about and tells you how different dialysis treatments and transplant as well as comfort care without dialysis fit with those things you value. Check it out at https://mykidneylifeplan.org/.

You might also want to join the Home Dialysis Central Facebook group where there are peritoneal dialysis and home hemodialysis patients and their care partners. If you ask this question there, you are likely to get more responses since it has almost 7,000 members. Since there are members from all over the world and some early risers and night owls, someone is posting 24/7. This is a closed members-only group, and you have to answer 4 simple questions to join. You can find it at Home Dialysis Central Discussion Group | Facebook.

Hello I’m new on here and I was just wondering how do people get 2,3 or even 4 transplants. God bless you all for that I pray for continued health and long life. My husband has to wait 6-7 years for a transplant and I was wondering how can I push up for a closer year

There are several strategies to get a transplant more quickly. One is to actively seek a living donor. Some folks have done billboards, bumper stickers or car window clings, social media requests, etc. Asking for someone to “be my hero.” Never ASK someone for a kidney–but you and your husband can share his story. Another strategy that can speed things up considerably is if you or another family member or friend donate a kidney, even if you are not a match for your husband. With a “paired donation,” he would then get a kidney from someone who matches him–but not their own loved one. Third, telling the transplant program that he is willing to receive a hepatitis C positive kidney can make a big difference in the wait time. Now that there are medicines to cure Hep C, this keeps good kidneys from being thrown away–these kidneys work just as well and just as long as those that don’t have Hep C. In the meantime, while your husband waits, it is vital for him to stay healthy and out of the hospital. He may want to consider a treatment option that will give him the best chance to get a transplant. Here is a tool that can help him to see which options those might be. https://www.mykidneylifeplan.org.

Do you know that the wait time at all the programs in your area is 6-7 years. That may be true for one transplant program, but not another. Some programs have long wait lists while others have shorter ones. You can compare whether waiting times are average, better or worse than average and how long kidneys last at different transplant programs within a set distance (default is 50 miles) from your zip code at this site. At the bottom of the page, choose kidney and type in your zip code to get this comparison.
https://www.srtr.org/reports/program-specific-reports/

If you have family or friends who you could turn to for support in another area of the country that you and your husband could get to quickly enough, you might want to check out that area as well.