Enforcement

Nephrology News & Issues

NY closes DaVita-affiliated clinic for poor infection control
9/17/2008 10:45:15 AM
By Mark E. Neumann

For the second time in the last six months, DaVita Inc. is facing public scrutiny over the closure of one of its dialysis clinics due to questionable clinical and administrative practices.
In July, the dialysis provider re-opened a clinic in Lufkin, Texas closed for nine weeks after the state cited DaVita for operational deficiencies and a staff nurse was arrested for injecting bleach in two dialysis patients. The patients survived.

Yesterday, DaVita closed its Life Care Dialysis Center in Manhattan after a New York State Department of Health investigation uncovered poor infection control practices and indicated that at least one patient has contracted hepatitis C after receiving dialysis there.

Health Commissioner Richard F. Daines, MD, told the media that the center has surrendered its operating certificate and paid a civil penalty of $300,000 to the state.

Last month, state health officials performed a week-long inspection of the center and documented unacceptable infection control practices, including blood on the treatment chairs and employees failing to wash their hands properly, disinfect equipment, or change gloves between patients.

It was repulsive, said Claudia Hutton, a spokeswoman for the Health Department, in an interview with The New York Times. The treatment chairs that they gave people to relax in had someone elses dried blood on them.
Clinic medical director Dr. Walter Wasser agreed to transfer the clinics 171 patients to alternate dialysis units, but the Department of Health sent letters out on Monday to 657 patients who received treatment at the clinic since January 2004 and who may have been exposed to hepatitis C and other bloodborne pathogens while treated at the center. The letters advised patients to get tested for hepatitis C, hepatitis B and human immunodeficiency virus. Lifecare agreed to pay for the patient testing.

A new statute, signed into law by Governor David A. Paterson on April 23, 2008, raised the possible penalties on health violations from $2,000 per violation up to $10,000 per violation, in some cases.

DOH has established a toll-free information hotline for Lifecare patients at 800.278.2965 that will receive calls 24 hours a day for the foreseeable future.

Problems in Texas

DaVita faced similar problems at its clinic in Lufkin, Texas, which it closed on April 28 after notifying local and state police and the state health department about a recent spike in patient deaths and health complications. The Texas Department of State Health Services conducted a regulatory investigation into the facility along with officials from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. In a separate investigation, Lufkin Police Department officers charged former DaVita nurse Kimberly Clark Saenz, 34, with injecting two patients with bleach. While both patients survived, a DaVita spokesman has said the company suspects Saenz is linked to a cluster of four patient deaths in early April. Police have not filed any additional charges.

The findings of a state survey conducted in mid-May were released to the media, but most of the information in the 40-page report was blacked out, including a list of deficiencies cited at the facility. Some portions of the corrective action plan from the survey were also blacked out.
The facility was cited with a level three corrective plan of action the highest kind of enforcement the state can apply. DaVita has been operating the clinic since its July 2 re-opening with a physician monitor, two nurse monitors and a technical monitor to oversee staff at the facility.

Hi Folks

Hi Jane thanks for the post, hope you don’t mind if I copy them. This was the problem I faced went first enter the nightmare called dialysis. I left that company buy choice and due also to I had to look out for my own health. The other myth in dialysis is get you back to a normal life that they control. And finding work. look for a job and see if they will hire you if they know your on dialysis.

I know that there are people who are working hard to better things. I’m one one of them in the PA. But like everything else unless you real footage of things that are said or done in these centers getting anyone to listen is like talking to tree. I hope that you have taken to emailing or mailing your people in your state capital and DC . And don’t expect any real change. These companies have tons of money and lawyers and spies. How else would a center know weeks or days ahead of of health dept people coming to a center.Plus people in office don’t want to do anything that might cost people there jobs.

Jane do what you can and keep posting . I will always look on this and post on things that are or are not happening . I will fax my state rep, he had gave me some story on why I did not get a job and he did write to the company to see if he could more information . In the mean time I will file will EEOC . Since both the company and the Dr that gave me a physical never got back to me on why I was not given a chance even to do the job.

Best To You

Bob OBrien

Hi Jane,

According to DaVita’s website, they have “over 1300 dialysis facilities” (http://www.davita.com/about/). DaVita uses a “quality index” that they developed to measure how each of their clinics are doing (http://www.davita.com/dialysis/c/307). When you have 1300 clinics, presumably some are the absolute best on this index and some are the absolute worst. The purpose of having an index is to recognize and reward the good performers–and to identify the poor performers and target them for help. Unfortunately, this clinic didn’t get enough help or get it in time.

I have not talked with DaVita about this–but it’s pretty apparent that letting one “bad apple” get national press doesn’t do anything good for a “brand”. So, if I had to guess, they’ll now be getting more aggressive about putting resources toward helping the clinics at the bottom so this doesn’t happen again. That’s what I would do, anyway. Ultimately, that will help patients.

No company can currently say that all of their clinics are perfect–and even if all of their clinics were clean, friendly, and gave excellent care, you know that we believe standard in-center HD itself should be a treatment of last resort because it isn’t enough dialysis to prevent long-term complications. So, your best bet to get good care is to go home where you can control your environment! Luckily for you & Bob, at least, you’re already there. :slight_smile:

Hi Folks

Hi Dori,
I started with Davita Exton,in center, then Davita Franklin. The problem with Davita Exton(both here in phila area) was over crowded and no one in charge that care from Davita stand point or the DR’s or nurses or pt social worker. I can’t blame them , this had to come from the top. If your roof is in bad shape insides are going to get wet. I did feel for the comsumers there in that for most of them, this was more than likely the first real medical truma to happen to them first hand. Plus with Davita being the only game in town what choice will a person have, go to a one hell hole or the next. The second center Davita Franklin , thesame thing as to there in center ,but I was only there to learn home hemo. But it was the same management. People who cared more about job safety than pt care.

In your reply “” Davita has a “” “quality index” ‘’ that is in theory tells the top where the leaks are, the top wanting to do what is best for the consumer fixes the leaks. What do you mean by help? That a manger won’t take it on his own to slove problems the Drs can form as one and tell Davita that if this issue isn’t fixed they will complan to state and cms etc. Or do the manger ,Drs etc all say as one . We all know the same old saying “” loud and clear everyone ““WE NEED MORE MONEY””

I guess in looking around at this country today it seems everyone is saying we need more money, but if you or a loved one was dumped into a hell ho;e I guss you ould ther nothing we can do ,since we have no money. You know Dori I might buy that thinking if the problems I’ve seen and heard could be fixed just by money,. But when will be enough money. 700b to bail out wall street/main street maybe? Will that forever fix the issue, greed, I don’t think so and would bet a month of my ssdi on it.

This isn’t dialysis to the point, but the same is true about what is going on in dialysis. This is why myself and my sister go to the nursing home at different hrs. And I have to say it was hard at the start, but the folks at nursing home (Drs nurses aides etc) and my family talked with all the time . And Mom although there physically, is well taken care of and very clean every time we have drop in and the same for the home.
If anyone can get the NYTimes today great stories on health issues, I put a plug in for HDC
Nursing home story not long http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/30/us/30nursing.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin
bob obrien
PS I file a formal complaint with EEOC and picked up my report from the medical center where I had to test for job. On the medical report it says I can work but would need to be tested once a yr.

[QUOTE=Dori Schatell;16714]Hi Jane,

According to DaVita’s website, they have “over 1300 dialysis facilities” (http://www.davita.com/about/). DaVita uses a “quality index” that they developed to measure how each of their clinics are doing (http://www.davita.com/dialysis/c/307). When you have 1300 clinics, presumably some are the absolute best on this index and some are the absolute worst. The purpose of having an index is to recognize and reward the good performers–and to identify the poor performers and target them for help. Unfortunately, this clinic didn’t get enough help or get it in time.

I have not talked with DaVita about this–but it’s pretty apparent that letting one “bad apple” get national press doesn’t do anything good for a “brand”. So, if I had to guess, they’ll now be getting more aggressive about putting resources toward helping the clinics at the bottom so this doesn’t happen again. That’s what I would do, anyway. Ultimately, that will help patients.

No company can currently say that all of their clinics are perfect–and even if all of their clinics were clean, friendly, and gave excellent care, you know that we believe standard in-center HD itself should be a treatment of last resort because it isn’t enough dialysis to prevent long-term complications. So, your best bet to get good care is to go home where you can control your environment! Luckily for you & Bob, at least, you’re already there. :-)[/QUOTE]

************* There were 50+ pages ( not comments, but pages!) of reader comments from all over the country ( patients, family members, dialysis workers, advocates, DaVita spokespersons) to the articles on Lufkin DaVita’s history of clinic violations/patient deaths. The comments can be found at the end of articles. What does that say? It says that violating clinics are nationwide. DaVita has an especially poor reputation as evidenced by reports all over the net, but many, if not most other clinics, are violators as well. With this many reader comments, surely the DaVita controversy was brought to the attention of many federa/lstate officials. But as usual, the story died and nothing further was reported about any real action taken on a state or national level. What will it take to get more states to act with strong enforcement as New York did? Why does CMS put it’s head in the sand while dialysis patients are routinely mistreated resulting in injuries and deaths in the dialysis clinics of our country?

Articles
Blogs
Sort by: Relevance | Date
Showing 1-10 of 18 results for davita
Search Tips

State health survey of DaVita Lufkin Dialysis - (05.19.2008)
… DaVita Lufkin Dialysis , DN State health survey of DaVita Lufkin Dialysis davita - Upload a doc Read this doc on Scribd: davita

Health department survey: 19 died at Lufkin DaVita clinic in five-month period - (07.08.2008)
Health department survey: 19 died at Lufkin DaVita clinic in five-month period , JESSICA SAVAGE, health, deaths, employees, police … request. A he Health department survey: 19 died at Lufkin DaVita clinic in five-month period Center was above state mortality … July 08, 2008 Nineteen patient deaths occurred at DaVita Lufkin Dialysis in a five-month period ending in April before its … and operations problems to meet state-required standards. DaVita spokesman Michael Chee has said the state survey conducted in May …

DaVita gets green light to reopen - (07.01.2008)
DaVita gets green light to reopen , JESSICA SAVAGE, health, employees, investigations, police, safety, deaths, news, numbers … has said the facility can reopen as early as Tuesday, DaV DaVita gets green light to reopen State releases highly censored survey … DaVita nurse Kimberly Clark Saenz, 34, of Pollok, with injecting two patients with bleach. While both patients survived, a DaVita … state has also required DaVita to mail and post notices of the findings of the May survey. While DaVita will be operating with the …

DaVita begins phased reopening despite small protest at Lufkin center - (07.02.2008)
DaVita begins phased reopening despite small protest at Lufkin center , JESSICA SAVAGE, health, news, press conferences, police … closed its doors April 28 after contacting police, stat DaVita begins phased reopening despite small protest at Lufkin center … The Lufkin Daily News Wednesday, July 02, 2008 DaVita Lufkin Dialysis Center reopened its doors Wednesday morning for the first … DaVita has reopened with state approval after hiring physician, nurse and technical monitors to oversee its staff. DaVita …

DaVita: Charges against nurse in bleaching case ‘unprecedented’ - (06.19.2008)
DaVita: Charges against nurse in bleaching case ‘unprecedented’ , JESSICA SAVAGE, Lufkin, DaVita, nurse, Texas, Lufkin Daily News … with state health officials to reopen the Lufkin center. DaVita: Charges against nurse ‘unprecedented’ Spokesman says company was … Thursday, June 19, 2008 Criminal allegations against a former Davita nurse are unprecedented in the dialysis industry, said … serious health complications in April. DaVita’s internal investigation DaVita spokesman Michael Chee said the company had already …

State to require monitors for DaVita before it can reopen - (06.03.2008)
State to require monitors for DaVita before it can reopen , JESSICA SAVAGE, letters, police, employees, deaths, news … to a division vice presiden State to require monitors for DaVita before it can reopen By JESSICA SAVAGEThe Lufkin Daily News … facility. In a May 16 letter to a division vice president of DaVita, the Texas Department of State Health Services said a … records request from The Lufkin Daily News two weeks ago. DaVita has 10 days from May 28 to submit a corrective plan of action to …

Police: DaVita nurse injected 2 with bleach - (05.30.2008)
Police: DaVita nurse injected 2 with bleach , JESSICA SAVAGE, police, investigations, arrests, deaths, bonds, hospitals, medicine … Friday. In an interview with detectives April 29, th Police: DaVita nurse injected 2 with bleach Affidavit: Nurse told detectives … SAVAGEThe Lufkin Daily News Friday, May 30, 2008 A former DaVita nurse charged with injecting two patients with bleach in April … Friday. In an interview with detectives April 29, the day DaVita says it fired her from its Lufkin clinic, Kimberly Saenz, a …

Company’s ‘town hall meetings’ did not solve staffing problems, DaVita patient says - (05.25.2008)
… s ‘town hall meetings’ did not solve staffing problems, DaVita patient says , JESSICA SAVAGE, meetings, employees, men, people … DaVita patient says By JESSICA SAVAGEThe Lufkin Daily News Sunday, May 25, 2008 Several “town hall” meetings held at DaVita’s … to a DaVita center in Dallas, where she said her treatment is "excellent."Joel Andrews/The Lufkin Daily News(ENLARGE)DaVita Lufkin … recent spike in patient deaths. Michael Chee, a spokesman for DaVita, said, "We held a number of patient town hall meetings at the …

DaVita suspects four patient deaths caused by former employee - (05.21.2008)
DaVita suspects four patient deaths caused by former employee , JESSICA SAVAGE, investigations, employees, deaths, health, police … deaths in April," said Michael Chee in an interview Tue DaVita suspects four patient deaths caused by former employee By JESSICA … DaVita spokesman said the company suspects four patient deaths at its dialysis clinic in Lufkin to be caused by a former employee … a nephrologist who is vice president of clinical services for DaVita and working with state officials during the investigation of …

State report: DaVita clinic did not have proper number of trained personnel - (05.20.2008)
State report: DaVita clinic did not have proper number of trained personnel , JESSICA SAVAGE, employees, health, deaths, news … DaVita clinic did not have proper number of trained personnel By JESSICA SAVAGEThe Lufkin Daily News Tuesday, May 20, 2008 DaVita … of Health and Human Services on July 18, 2007, indicated the DaVita clinic at 700 S. John Redditt Drive had not adequately staffed … to an open records request from The Lufkin Daily News. A Davita spokesman did not immediately comment on the reports. The …

Results Pages: 1 | 2 pg. 1 of 2
Next >

+++++++++ To find these articles along with reader comments, go to the blog section of Lufkin Daily News, type in Lufkin DaVita and select older that 30 days.

Hi Folks

Hi Jane

You know we may end up getting kicked off this site for posting on issues that are "“in center issues” or other health issues links so folks can stay informed on dialysis issues and other health issues. But I don’t care I’m up and running. This whole thing boils down to lack of respect on the not all but too many medical people towards the health care consumer. I have had a great deal of respect for the medical world. I knew it wasn’t perfect but the Drs nurses ,everyone I had met over the yrs treated people with respect. Yrs ago I was in a ward with four others and one person just like to complain about everything. After a few days of hearing this person scream at nurses ,Drs the boss came in and the person complain once more about food being no good ,this /that etc. I asked the boss if I could talk to her and she came over and I told her that the person was a pain in the A - -… The issue was fixed. The same thing needs to happen in dialysis I will back my non profit center , but the Davita units are in need of looking at , I say put cameras into centers. This way both good and bad on both sides can be seen.

bob obrien

Hi y’all,

We would never boot anyone off for having a respectful, fact-based discussion about home dialysis issues–that’s what we’re here for. So, please don’t worry about that.

I do want to point out, though, that in-center HD is basically outpatient institutionalization. Surely you’ve all heard of issues in any kind of health care institution: Walter Reed Hospital. Nursing homes. Orphanages. Mental Health Facilities. Just this morning while I was driving to work, I heard a figure that 90% of nursing homes have at least one citation per year.. The problem of getting large numbers of variably trained healthcare staff up to speed and in a culture where they give excellent care to every patient, every time is not unique to dialysis.

From what I’ve seen of the industry over the past 19 years, there have been ongoing efforts to raise the bar in a number of different areas, and those efforts continue. They are trying to improve care in every facility, but it’s a huge challenge. Nursing homes are inspected by the Feds every year, because people live in them. Since dialysis patients go home after their treatments, those inspections just don’t get the resources (most states use the same inspectors for both).

[QUOTE=Dori Schatell;16714]Hi Jane,

No company can currently say that all of their clinics are perfect–and even if all of their clinics were clean, friendly, and gave excellent care, you know that we believe standard in-center HD itself should be a treatment of last resort because it isn’t enough dialysis to prevent long-term complications. So, your best bet to get good care is to go home where you can control your environment! Luckily for you & Bob, at least, you’re already there. :-)[/QUOTE]

What does Davita’s quality index measure? It is good if records show that patient #'s are at a sufficient level, if the #'s are not fudged that is. But there is a lot more to dialysis care than #s. Filthy clinics, poorly educated staff, poor staffing ratios, unprofessional behaviors, a deaf ear to patient concerns- these are the things that must be measured.

Who is to say how many “bad apples” there are? What evidence is there for same? But if patients could speak freely about what they experience in their clinics, we would get the real picture. I’ve been in clinics that have adequate staffing and the problems listed still occurred. It is not the staffing or resources that ensure quality care- it’s the management’s standards. Honest management insists on good, honest care.

Home care is the place to be to get top of the line care. But the majority of dialysis patients require clinic care as they do not have the support and the home circumstances to dialyze at home. Federal and state officials can do far more to clean up dialysis clinic abuses. It begins with enforcement.

[QUOTE=Dori Schatell;16719]Hi y’all,

We would never boot anyone off for having a respectful, fact-based discussion about home dialysis issues–that’s what we’re here for. So, please don’t worry about that.

I do want to point out, though, that in-center HD is basically outpatient institutionalization. Surely you’ve all heard of issues in any kind of health care institution: Walter Reed Hospital. Nursing homes. Orphanages. Mental Health Facilities. Just this morning while I was driving to work, I heard a figure that 90% of nursing homes have at least one citation per year.. The problem of getting large numbers of variably trained healthcare staff up to speed and in a culture where they give excellent care to every patient, every time is not unique to dialysis.

From what I’ve seen of the industry over the past 19 years, there have been ongoing efforts to raise the bar in a number of different areas, and those efforts continue. They are trying to improve care in every facility, but it’s a huge challenge. Nursing homes are inspected by the Feds every year, because people live in them. Since dialysis patients go home after their treatments, those inspections just don’t get the resources (most states use the same inspectors for both).[/QUOTE]

Even if all dialysis clinics were surveyed once per year, that is not the answer. It is not the workers that are the problem- it’s corrupt management and the fact that patients have no one to report same to that will seriously investigate and sanction clinics. I have been on shifts where a corrupt nurse is in charge and the workers follow her lead. Similarly I have been on shifts headed by honest nurses and the same workers know they better follow her lead. It’s as simple as that. Whatever management allows is what goes. Top management does not insist on quality care of it’s clinics…why not? Obviously, because they are corrupt. If they were honest no such thing would occur. Enforcement arms must keep them honest not with yearly surveys, but ongoing response to patients’ complaints.

Hi Jane,

Unfortunately, there are all kinds of people in health care, including some who don’t belong there. I will never forget a patient telling the story of a nurse who purposely stepped on his broken foot, knowing it would cause him pain. <Sigh> I’m not sure there is any way to ensure that everyone who becomes a nurse, social worker, tech, dietitian, etc. has chosen the right field and has the right attitude.

Hi Folks

Hi Dori

Thanks for keeping me here.LOL

What do you think of cameras into centers ? I think cameras should be in place in the cities, hospitals medical centers and dr offices. I’m not a left wing or right nut job. I just think and see the world in which we live today. No one seems to mind that telephone calls at supper trash mail(US MAIL) spam.

thanks

bob obrien
ps my spelling is bad and the keys stick

[QUOTE=Dori Schatell;16723]Hi Jane,

Unfortunately, there are all kinds of people in health care, including some who don’t belong there. I will never forget a patient telling the story of a nurse who purposely stepped on his broken foot, knowing it would cause him pain. <Sigh> I’m not sure there is any way to ensure that everyone who becomes a nurse, social worker, tech, dietitian, etc. has chosen the right field and has the right attitude.[/QUOTE]

Like I said Dori, dialysis workers, the SW and dietitian may not have the right attitudes, but they will certainly comply if management sets the tone and lets them know it’s treat the patients well or it’s the highway. But the real problem is management and those nephrologists that do not protect their patients’ rights. That’s why the enforcement arm must be better. The question is why has the enforcement arm allowed the Dialysis Industry ( owners, management and nephrologists) to get away with so much? And why has CMS allowed enforcement to be so weak? It isn’t because they do not know what to do- they know, but are not doing their job. Why they are not doing their job is the question.

Hi Bob. I suspect that cameras in dialysis clinics would violate the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) requiring privacy for personal health information.

Hi Jane. CMS can’t possibly enforce good management in every clinic, because they don’t have the resources. There are 17,000 nursing homes in the U.S. and only about 5,000 dialysis clinics. Federal law requires nursing homes to be inspected once a year. There is no requirement for how often dialysis clinics must be surveyed–and they use the same surveyors. It’s a matter of $$$.

Medicare Part D drained off huge amounts of money from the CMS budget, for example, and now with a financial crisis, we’ll be likely to see more cutbacks, not more additions to the surveying budget.

[QUOTE=Dori Schatell;16726]Hi Bob. I suspect that cameras in dialysis clinics would violate the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) requiring privacy for personal health information.

Hi Jane. CMS can’t possibly enforce good management in every clinic, because they don’t have the resources. There are 17,000 nursing homes in the U.S. and only about 5,000 dialysis clinics. Federal law requires nursing homes to be inspected once a year. There is no requirement for how often dialysis clinics must be surveyed–and they use the same surveyors. It’s a matter of $$$.

Medicare Part D drained off huge amounts of money from the CMS budget, for example, and now with a financial crisis, we’ll be likely to see more cutbacks, not more additions to the surveying budget.[/QUOTE]

Not speaking about surveys. As I stated previously, how much good can even an annual survey do? I am speaking about a system of patients filing complaints like the 24 hr hotline in New York. Surveyors are supposed to conduct surveys any time a patient files a complaint. But I have seen surveryors come into clinics that are not clean for starters and not even write them up for it. The surveyors do not do their jobs adequately. Each state should have an advocacy group of some type to hold clinics’ feet to the fire on an everyday basis. Then you would not see clinics cheating the communities they are there to serve…

Hi Folks

I have not had a chance to read all the details , but lets cross our fingers and hope that this may be a step in the right direction. I’m not sure if this will apply to real truma events. But this should have also been in place , and I think that at one time was the rule rather than the exception.

I hope to get a chance later go over this and if need be I’ll call my insurance company and medicare.

Dori on cameras , there are cameras in place already in areas, where the crime rates are high. I’m sure you seen or maybe not seen them. But I’ve been in medical centers in the Phila area and camers and armed police are outside and inside. They need not be audio. That is where I think Hipaa comes into play.

Don’t forget to VOTE!!!

Bob OBrien

I have wondered if it’s lawful for patients to discreetly snap pics or videos with a cell phone or tape audio with a small hidden recorder, because that certainly would provide evidence of the violations that go on. Why should the law be on the side of facility violators if a patient is being victimized?

Hi Jane,

As far as “hidden” photography or audio, you’d have to check the laws of your state. In most states, the permission of both parties is required for audio, but some states only need the permission of one person. As far as photos, I’m not aware of the laws, but certainly the story about the horrible conditions at Walter Reed came out in part due to the photos of mold on the walls and such…

Hi Folks

Hi Dori & Jane

That is why I had asked if HDC /webtalk, could fine people who are familar with laws. In Pa we can not audio record other people without consent. The way around it is to say that for training and quality purposes this phone call will be recorded. As to pics or videos in my state I can’t see it be unlawful, since so many people have cell phone cameras. If someone found me funny looking and snaped my pic(unless it was in my home ) or saw a crime the law would love any and all pics. In fact I do have a phone recorder, and will be getting new cell phone with camera.

Thanks

Bob O’Brien

VOTE VOTE VOTE!!!

Bob, attorneys are licensed by state, so it would be impossible for us to find someone who knew the laws of all 50 states.

Hi Folks

I think this may be the last post on this subject???

I think this story tells everything I had been saying and what maybe all of us can understand. The relationship I have with my Dr of 35 yrs is base on him taking the time to show empathy , and the relationship I thought I had with my first renal Dr was base on him take the time to answer my question and ease my mind about dialysis. This was well before dialysis, so went dialysis was done fast and without my knowing about it ( I was not awake due to being so sick), I was not overly concerned till I went into my first center. Then the real world of dialysis hit me like a ton of bricks. And no one , no one from the top down, took time to really talk, eye to eye with myself and Eleanor. Eleanor and I have been with each other for over 15 yrs. And we have had all sorts of life’s stumbling blocks tossed at us only to pick ourselves up and move on to be better people.

So here is a short story about empathy and DRs and health care consumers.

Don’t forget Folks please Vote Vote, Vote , if you can’t tell my real hobby is following US and world events

Thanks

Bob O’Brien