Get well soon Angie!

I am sure those of you that know Angie from this forum and others will join me in wishing her well with the new kidney she received on Sept 29th. I gather things are a bit tricky at the moment as her new kidney is “sleeping” but those of you that know the battle she has had with her fistula and the long wait for a kidney she has endured will be sending her the very best wishes and positive thoughts.

Cheers
Angie

Beth and I certainly join you in that sentiment, Beachy. Wake up, Angie’s kidney!

Met with Angie again yesterday…and she seems to be doing better than on Monday…she’s a fighter

Richard C/O Jessie

Our Canadian Angie got a transplant? What wonderful news! That’s just great. I hope her kidney wakes up soon too!

[quote=beachy;14651]I am sure those of you that know Angie from this forum and others will join me in wishing her well with the new kidney she received on Sept 29th. I gather things are a bit tricky at the moment as her new kidney is “sleeping” but those of you that know the battle she has had with her fistula and the long wait for a kidney she has endured will be sending her the very best wishes and positive thoughts.

Cheers
Angie[/quote]

Same here, best wishes to Angie! Hope it all goes well for her. There’s nothing else like a real kidney in you…

Well
Angie has been having a really hard time but finally, here is a more positive post from her website! Go Angie!

Cheers
beachy

Quote from Angie’s kidney Community Board 'Thanks guys! Sorry I have not been active on all forums but the fact of the matter is that with them doing dialysis on me and my kidney starting to work, my Potassium dropped and with the potassium effecting the heart and with the weight my heart simply is having a very hard time! Infact on kidney friends I said I would be in chat tonight but could one of you tell them I won’t be able to make it? Thx

I got the foley catheter taken out today and so far today I have peed into a measuring “hat” 500ml! I am doing well! Can’t believe I pee again! In a toilet! From my bladder! From my NEW KIDNEY!!!

Anyway, I have a hard time even sitting as the fluid is hard on my heart. My ankles are so swollen and even my butt is bruised. My mom took pictures of the incision and my ankles and the surgeon and stuff so later when I am eventually hope I can scan them and up load them and share them with all of you!! :slight_smile:

I hope you are all doing well and thank you so much for sharing in this with me and for those who have also spread the news to the other boards while I am unable!! Thx! :slight_smile: Much appreciated!!’

Angie

Thanks everyone! I know it has been awhile but when I got home I had to be readmitted as I was sick 4 times in 5 days. So I went back on dialysis. I have been finding out very very little as time goes on as the docs tell me nothing. I feel like I am only on a need to know basis. And they seem to feel patients need to know very little! I feel like yelling at them that I have been going through kidney disease since I was 9 years old so I can’t handle anything they throw at me better than most people my age! What makes it worse is I look younger than I am so they think I am just a kid! Some even thought I was 19 or 22! Come on!! I am 34!! lol Can you believe that??

Anyway, my mom is slow at developing the pics so no pics yet but I DO have news … been finding out more and more … lots to update as it has been a real wild roller coaster ride!

The kidney had not woken up for the first 7 weeks because it lacked Oxygen and Blood due to severely low blood pressure that worried them. They call what my kidney suffered, “Acute Tubular Necrosis” which is when the tubules in the kidney DIE. But cells regenerate and I found out by doing research online that there is hope of the kidney “waking up” but by 6 weeks. I started to really worry as it went on 7 weeks and I was still doing FULL TIME dialysis back at home and the Neprhologist in the transplant hospital told my local dialysis unit that my kidney has ZERO function! I cried!!

Then just on Nov 14th finally it was my last dialysis!! The kidney is still not working FULLY yet enough for me to stay off dialysis as it is FINALLY WAKING UP!!!

I have to give myself Epo subq (in my belly) and take iron pills and still watch my Phosphate and take Phosphate binders and all but I can drink a LOT and just this week my kidney has finally been taking out Potassium so I can now enjoy pizza without worrying! Well it has been so long that I still ask for low sauce because I am sooo scared … lol … but things are picking up!!

Took me awhile to find this post as my mom was using my computer when I was in the hospital and I don’t know what she did but now I can’t get any emails except through angieskidney at gmail as it is website based instead!

Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers as they helped to keep me going!!

hugs to all

By the way the official date of the transplant was Sept 30th 2007 but I got the call and went to the hospital on the 29th :wink:

• Angie

I think her kidney is waking up! Has not needed to have dialysis for the new kidney for a few days now. Well done Angie!

Hi Folks

Great News Angie…

I read your post about the Drs. not telling you more and how it makes you feel after everything you have been though. It is sad that today Drs. seems to think that the person who is deal with the issue can’t handle talking about the issues that effect the person life… Sorry sorry. It just gets me upset to hear this stuff.

But I wish you the very Best
bob obrien

Angie, I suspect that the docs not telling you things has a lot more to do with their discomfort at giving bad news (they hate that, it’s the worst part of their job) than with them not thinking you could handle it. It’s great that your kidney is finally kicking in!

Yay I can post again (I had changed my email address and couldn’t post for 2 days).

I think it is worse when they keep you in the dark as I felt so lost! Besides, they don’t want discomfort?? Try dealing with what we have to go through! They got the easy part! lol

I felt like I was at their mercy with no one to talk to. Even the social worker at the hospital was more like the doctor’s lawyer than there for the patient. That was so clearly known. I talked to a few patients there that felt the same was as I did. Infact, by the end of my stay there us patients learned we could only depend on each other for emotional support. Once we figured that out it got a lot easier.

Angie… jessie and I are happy to read that things are getting better… go girl go…long haul for you !!

Richard C/O Jessie

[quote=Jessie St Amour;15097]Angie… jessie and I are happy to read that things are getting better… go girl go…long haul for you !!

Richard C/O Jessie[/quote]Thanks! It has been an incredibly long roller coaster ride but I am glad the ride is getting less bumpy :wink:

I go tomorrow to London again. I will update when I get back! Also my mom finally brought the pics in so I will also be posting on my site and will try to post here too if it is allowed to post pics (not sure how it is done here). The pics that were taken when you guys visited me in the hospital when I got the transplant.

Hi Angie,
You can post pictures here. When you hit “Reply,” you’ll have a text box to type your message in, and then under the “Submit Reply” button, there’s another box of additional options that lets you show your signature and attach files (including pictures) and such.

[quote=Dori Schatell;15100]Hi Angie,
You can post pictures here. When you hit “Reply,” you’ll have a text box to type your message in, and then under the “Submit Reply” button, there’s another box of additional options that lets you show your signature and attach files (including pictures) and such.[/quote]
Oh! Okay thanks Dori! :slight_smile: I appreciate the help! I know each forum is different so I wasn’t sure

By the way, Jessie is the inspiration behind me naming my new kidney Jessie :wink: :slight_smile:

Okay, it has been awhile but I finally got the pics developed! I go to clinic locally tomorrow and then back to the transplant hospital the last Monday of this month! They are finally letting me go once a month since my own city is seeing me once a month too. So really I see someone every 2 weeks.

Hey Angie

Nice to see the pic of you with Richard and Jessie.

How about posting a happy snap of you and your fiancee so we can see how well you look now?

Cheers

[quote=beachy;15365]Hey Angie

Nice to see the pic of you with Richard and Jessie.

How about posting a happy snap of you and your fiancee so we can see how well you look now?

Cheers[/quote]
I really wish I had one but no one too any pics of us and so I took a pic of him by the tree and even that pic he looked so tired. There is only a pic of me making a really retarded face with my brother Lonnie :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh wait I found a pic that he took of me holding the gift from him (box of money … clever eh? lol)

A huge difference from how I looked that last Christmas (2005) he came for a visit lol (also attached).

For THIS Christmas we could not find ANYONE to take a pic of Jeff and I together since he came after Christmas to see me (he spent this Christmas with his family. I was supposed to go but couldn’t because of the transplant and all).

[quote=AngiesKidney;15366]I really wish I had one but no one too any pics of us and so I took a pic of him by the tree and even that pic he looked so tired. There is only a pic of me making a really retarded face with my brother Lonnie :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh wait I found a pic that he took of me holding the gift from him (box of money … clever eh? lol)

A huge difference from how I looked that last Christmas (2005) he came for a visit lol (also attached).

For THIS Christmas we could not find ANYONE to take a pic of Jeff and I together since he came after Christmas to see me (he spent this Christmas with his family. I was supposed to go but couldn’t because of the transplant and all).[/quote]

Oh wow, you look very very diferent now! I mean in a good way… Home dialysis Vs. Transplant …hmmm, looks like Transplant beats. No doubt about it…

Long live your new kidney!

[quote=Gus;15368]Oh wow, you look very very diferent now! I mean in a good way… Home dialysis Vs. Transplant …hmmm, looks like Transplant beats. No doubt about it…

Long live your new kidney![/quote]Actually I was so skinny back in 2005 because that was after a whole summer being severely sick and had to switch from PD to HD and never got to do home hemo because my apartment manager wouldn’t allow for plumbing alterations and I live alone anyway and my fistula was too rolling for me to be able to self cannulate til it got larger. Funny thing is it is larger now but I am glad I have the transplant. Also there are 2 years difference between those 2 pics. I should post a directly before and after pic :wink: Well … that one already posted is the only after pic so far :wink: But I know I have a pic taken about a month before the transplant around here somewhere :wink:

Hmm… can’t find it but here is one taken right after dialysis (I am wearing stuff I got from www.mykidneygear.com) 2006. I hadn’t changed much and is pretty much what I looked like right before the transplant. I noticed my eyes were always sunken in before and now they are not :stuck_out_tongue: