I may be joining the PD club

I’ve been on hemodialysis for a year (the first four months in-centre, and since then, NxStage). Today I found out my third attempt at a permanent access has failed. I have the option of staying with home hemo using a chest cath, or switching to CAPD, and maybe later, CCPD. I’m concerned about the risk of infection with both options, but the hemo catheter seems to be less ideal. I’m concerned about the adequacy of dialysis I would get with PD, because I’ve heard some say that it’s not as efficient as hemo. My home unit offers CAPD along with NxStage, so I’m going to talk to my nurses about PD at my next clinic visit. Oh, decisions.

What has happened with you. We have started PD and it is doing great. Our first lab tests showed that the PD was doing just what it was supposed to. So great to stay at home while the dialysis is being done.

Hi , just a quick note, I’ve been on PD since 8/07, I did not get a choice, my veins are too small, but PD is working great for me. I do my exchange while sitting at the computer going thru emails and surfing. all of my numbers are good, so I’m happy with the results, certainly feel alot better! (I didn’t care for the night cycler) the risk of infection is low if you follow the instructions every time. no shortcuts! best of luck to you.

In a dialysis center, catheters are quite risky. But at home, they seem to be safer. Like a fistula, at home, fewer people are touching a catheter. And, at home you’re exposed to fewer outside germs, too. In Lynchburg, VA, at Dr. Lockridge’s nocturnal home HD program, most of his folks dialyze with catheters (using special locks), and they have a very low infection rate.

It also seems to be the case that some part of the higher risk of problems with catheters are because they are often placed in older, sicker people who have other health issues.

I’m not saying that you should definitely choose one over the other, but just thought the additional info might be useful for you as you decide.

Both Hubby and I decided that if he did not get an infection at the clinic during training he sure would not get an infection at home. We had never seen a clinic or doctor’s office as filthly. This is one of the reasons we were bothe so depressed.

Well that’s distressing! I find it interesting when people don’t want to do dialysis at home because they’re afraid their homes aren’t “sterile,” when clinics and hospitals (and, in your case, doctors’ offices) pretty much always have more germs–and more dangerous germs–than anyone would possibly have in their home (unless they’re the folks with 142 cats…)

Well Dori we don’t have cats or dogs for that matter in our home. We are two people that feel our pets need to be outside. I have 6 grandchildren in and out and I sure don’t need 4-legged animals to clean up after. (I am smiling here.)

Thank you Patty. We are very pleased with the way things are going.

Sounds like a good PD home to me! :smiley:

Here’s an update since I posted the last time. My graft started working again, right around the same time I got a staph infection in my catheter which put me in the hospital for three days. Now my graft is screwing up again and I have had it. I said before that I may be switching to PD, but now I say I’m DEFINITELY switching. I see my nephrologist this week and we will start getting things in motion for me to switch. According to my nurses, I’ll start training on manual exchanges, then do my PET test, then if I am able, I’ll start CCPD training. I guess I’ll have to change my screen name to “ilovehomechoice” or something like that :slight_smile:

Let us know how that goes for you.

I sure will be praying that things go well with the PD for you. When you start you training don’t let it overwhelm you. Just take one day at a time. I hope everything goes as well for you as it did for my husband. He is going to be tested in the next week or two to see when he can cut out his afternoon fill. That is something we have been looking forward to. If it doesn’t happen we can easliy will with things going as they are now.

Will be looking for an update from you and if you are chaning your screen name.

Well, the catheter is in now. It hurts quite a bit now, but I know that will go away. Now I just play the waiting game until it’s healed and ready for use. I’m looking forward to it because my doctor won’t let me move until I’m settled on PD. I still wish I could stay on NxStage, but Its not going to work out that way. Maybe one day I can get a reliable hemo access and most of all, convince SOMEONE that I’m capable and comfortable doing hemodialysis ALONE. I’d still rather be doing nocturnal hemo (even though I still hate the needles).

Everything is going so good with hubby’s PD. It works so well with our lifestyle. Next week we are packing up the cycler and supplies and heading to Orange Beach, Alabama for a week. No problem. We don’t have to worry about finding a dialysis clinic. Our grandchildren are so excited that we are all still take trips together.

I bet they are! That’s great to hear DHolland. The whole point of dialysis is to allow you to keep doing the things you love–like traveling to spend time with the grandkids. :smiley:

Hi, I have had every treatment option for diaylysis and currently back on PD after a failed transplant. I have to tell you that the new technology has really lessen the rate of infection in patients who do their exchanges correctly. I have not had any problems with infection and I do my treatments at night while I sleep. I hated Hemo and this is a much better option for me until I get transplanted again. For me, Hemo drained me and made me very ill. My labs work on PD is awesome and I am not as limited to the amount of fluids I drink. I also think your body responds better to daily dialysis. Well, good luck either way!

More fluid on PD is a great plus. We were told that PD was much easier on the body than hemo. Since hubby has never done hemo we can’t compare the two.

There is no question that PD is much, much easier on the body–especially the heart–than standard, in-center HD.

Tthe newer forms of HD–like short daily HD (usually done at home) and nocturnal HD (done at night when you sleep, either at home 3-6 nights/week or in a center 3 nights/week) are also easier on the body than standard in-center HD.

Dori have you heard any news about the new cycler Baxter is coming out with the first of 2009? Hubby was told about it the other day by a Baxter techie.

Kidney failure is not good but with all the new developements in dialysis things are so much easier these days.

Dianne

Nope, I haven’t heard a thing about it. Fresenius has a new cycler that’s just about to come out, though.

Baxter isn’t a sponsor of this site, either, though we’ve tried and tried to get them on board. Maybe for '08-'09? We’d sure love to have them!