Ilovenxstage.com - Let me know what you think?

OK so last time I got a lot of flack about my site ihatedialysis.com sounding to negative. Well I’m sure many of you have changed your mind. Or will change your mind when the August issue of Nephrology News & Issues hits. But anyway,

My new site http://ilovenxstage.com has been seen by NxStage and they think it’s great. And I’m sure many of you will think this site sounds more positive. :smiley:

I have lots of pictures and will have videos soon, and I have my day by day training diary. Be sure to check out the “NEWS” section and all of the other sections.

Let me know what you think.

• Epoman

Okay but not original, your copying again and repeating what NxStage is already is presenting…otherwise nice to see a great NxStage fan… :stuck_out_tongue:

I read your training diary. I feel your confidence growing and your mood changing as you felt better about yourself, your health, and even dialysis. I’m glad that you are doing home hemo. When I read the very first message you posted here, I thought that you would be a terrific home dialysis patient and I think you proved that. Congratulations!

BTW, I noticed that you said that you’d be interested in working. I hope that your wish becomes a reality. There are work incentive programs that can let you ease off disability. There is even a safety net if your health changes and you can’t work and need to return to disabilty…and there’s no waiting period to restart SSDI if your disability keeps you from working within 5 years of when you returned to work.

Helping people keep their jobs and get back to work is one of the things I love best about working with people on dialysis and what I’ve devoted more than the last a decade of my social work career doing. Questions? Just ask.

Okay but not original, your copying again and repeating what NxStage is already is presenting…otherwise nice to see a great NxStage fan… :P[/quote]

Ok Gus, I understand that comment is payback for our last little conversation, but honestly how can you say I am copying and repeating what nxstage is presenting. In my pictures section I have many pictures that present way more details and ideas than any of the nxstage pictures on their site, and in the video section, I will showing videos of actual machine “setup” and “take off” they do not have that on their site either. Also I have a day-by-day account of my training, something else they do not offer. But it’s ok, I know how you are. Just like when I first launched my homepage, for ihatedialysis.com. the HOME page NOT the forums. You sent me a PM and told me “it’s ok, but I could have built it better, I can help if you want.” and I told you “no thanks”.

But anyway, I won’t let you ruin this thread, so I will NOT reply to you again in this thread. Because if I do we will just argue again and I do not want this thread locked, because ilovenxstage.com can help a lot of people.

Thank you for the kind words, if I do go back to work I would like it to be related to helping people on dialysis. I really do love nxstage and think it has started a revolution.

iluvnxstage2,

but can someone please get me one of the darn things,

For Christmas, FOr my birthday!!

I’ll be good!! Please please Please!!
:smiley:

I think, personally, that the more noise is made about the NXstage, the sooner other manufacturers will get their skates on & catch up.
The deman exceeds the supply I think. Immensly.

That’s exactly right, they JUMP started this industry all over again.

Absolutely, if you missed it…Aksys is already designing their portable home dialysis machine… I think competition is good… :slight_smile:

http://aksys.com/press/20051103.asp :smiley:

Hmm I guess we look forward to seeing the prototypes of their portable, their home haemo is yet another primitive looking ugly bastard!!

Have these people no pride in design?? !!

:wink:

Lol, ya kinda old thinking for these days but they really have a unique idea and design but I guess it wasn’t compatible for those of us who want a mo re simpler life!

On the other hand I guess they have learned from their mistakes…

Is it NxStage that you love? or is it getting enough dialysis that has put the smile on your face?

I think the people who thought up and designed the Aksys had a great deal of pride in their design. They designed a machine that took very little daily work to use and minimized chronic inflammation. They designed a machine that cleaned the blood using diffusion and convection that allowed efficient dialysis with little fluid removal. They designed a machine that provided optimal daily dialysis under the antiquated US renal reimbursement rules.

They designed a machine that took very little daily work to use and minimized chronic inflammation.
This is accomplished by the PHD because it reuses its F-80 artificial kidney and the blood tubing set (BTS). This allows the initiation of treatment at the push of a button and after the completion of a single task – changing the transducer protector – and because the BTS keeps a protein coat after its first use the BTS is highly biocompatible.

They designed a machine that cleaned the blood using diffusion and convection that allowed efficient dialysis with little fluid removal.
The PHD accomplishes this by allowing the infusion of injectable quality dialysate into the blood circuit which increases the ultrafiltration rate. According to the Atlas of Diseases of the Kidney (which is not currently available online) convection starts when the UF rate is above 1 kg/hour. Diffusion is enhanced because the PHD was designed to take advantage of sheer which takes place when fluids pass at certain velocities in opposition i.e. the PHD allows dialysate flow rates that are twice blood flow rates.

They designed a machine that provided optimal daily dialysis under antiquated US renal reimbursement rules. Perhaps I should say they attempted to designed a machine that provided optimal daily dialysis under antiquated US renal reimbursement rules. In order for any new machine to succeed in the US market its business model has to fit under the three day week frequency limit imposed by Medicare reimbursement rules. Not only does the machine have to work the company that makes the machine has to make money, no company can loose money year after year.

Those who follow the news know that Aksys has had a number of business setbacks these last few months, there is the NASDAQ delisting; the FDA warning letter; the machine manufacturer is no longer partnering with Aksys. These headlines all speak to the problems Aksys has had with their business model.

The look of the machine is not the issue, the issue is the company’s viability.

Is it NxStage that you love? or is it getting enough dialysis that has put the smile on your face?[/quote]

No I would say it’s the NxStage, since this is the only home-hemo machine that I can use in my apartment, I know you are advocate of the Aksys, I have read all about you, however I think that Nxstage has jump started this industry and made others stop and think “hey we need to change our business model”. I have to talked to several nxstage people and they all impress me with their concern for people with kidney disease. I’m sure if aksys didn’t require plumbing mods, RO setups, and was portable then I would be running www.iloveaksys.com

As for the smile on my face, It’s really not that I feel SO much better, it’s the freedom I love and the ability to travel without having to be dependant on a center and restricted to the session time they give me.

So to answer your question, it’s the machine and company.

If you’ve read all about me then you know about my wanderlust co-morbidity. I completely agree that NxStage’s “ability to <allow> travel without having to be dependant on a center” is very appealing. On August 14th I am going to train to use the System One as a vacation option.

The plan is to hit the road as soon as I complete the training – this will be the third machine that I’ve been trained to use so I am predicting that I will finish training in a couple days. If all goes as planned I will hit the road with a buddy on the 22nd or 23rd. I’m trying to talk a guy I work with into loaning me his mobile home or maybe I’ll rent something else but whatever we end up driving the first stop will be the Oregon coast and highway 101.

We’ll stop off at the Oregon Dunes and maybe head down to the redwoods. Another option would be to hit Burning Man over Labor Day weekend. I went to Burning Man in 1994 and 1995, I’m sure it has changed but it would be cool to hang out all weekend and not have to travel into Sparks for dialysis. At Burning Man I could dialyze publicly nekkid, painted red and blue, and call the whole thing a performance piece – an art project commentary on the state of the Nation.

I’ve made no secret of my feeling that dialysis is dialysis. The machine is just a bunch of pumps and sensors. Whatever machine is made available to me, that’s what I use - although of course, once used to one particular machine as I am now, I would be extremely reluctant to change if I were forced to. I think the “short daily” treatment model that NxStage fits in is better than 3 times per week dialysis, but no short daily comes close to the health advantages of daily nocturnal hemo in the long run.
Pierre

Ah man, “Burning Man”…ah my gawd…you wicked little man…hehehehe… :lol:

Saw a documentary on Burning Man last year over here in Aussie Land . You Americans sure do some wacky things with your spare time :lol:

Maybe we here at HomeDialysis.org forums should go as a group down there…we can express our statement about home dialysis and portability…maybe we can dialyze under the hot sun in a circle…NEKKID!!! har, har, har, har!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

If you don’t know what Burning Man festival is visit this link…

Ah yes and you Aussies are always so stoic and dispassionate. No goofing off down under:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1331270330880132902&q=balloon+fight+record

One of the reasons you gotta love the U.S.A. !! 8)